Three meat, 25 person vacation BBQ cook.... check my quantities

Tom Jordan

TVWBB Fan
As I previously posted, I'm cooking BBQ for family members in about 10 days. Here's what I have in mind to bring to the beach house. I was just informed it'll be 25 people.
Right now, I have 2ea 10.5lb (pretrim) prime packer briskets and 4ea full slabs of St. Lois ribs in the freezer and I will pick up two boston butts for pulled pork at costco near there.
That was my original menu before I was told my sister's side of the family was 17 (and they're all from the KCMO area and love BBQ!).
There'll also be mac & cheese, baked beans, cole slaw and potato salad.
I will have a ****-ton of hamburgers on hand as filler for those who are no BBQ fans and was thinking I'd smoke some Johnsonville Original brats as well.
Your thoughts on quantities? I could also over roast some chicken if anyone thinks my first three meats aren't enough.

Good to go, IMO

As I previously posted, I'm cooking BBQ for family members in about 10 days. Here's what I have in mind to bring to the beach house. I was just informed it'll be 25 people.
Right now, I have 2ea 10.5lb (pretrim) prime packer briskets and 4ea full slabs of St. Lois ribs in the freezer and I will pick up two boston butts for pulled pork at costco near there.
That was my original menu before I was told my sister's side of the family was 17 (and they're all from the KCMO area and love BBQ!).
There'll also be mac & cheese, baked beans, cole slaw and potato salad.
I will have a ****-ton of hamburgers on hand as filler for those who are no BBQ fans and was thinking I'd smoke some Johnsonville Original brats as well.
Your thoughts on quantities? I could also over roast some chicken if anyone thinks my first three meats aren't enough.

That ought to be more than enough for 25 people. I try to figure yields by the following: https://virtualweberbullet.com/pulled-pork-butt-servings-calculator.html

Butts ~70% by weight
Brisket ~50% by weight
Ribs ~3 people per rack

So for brisket and butts (assuming they're ~10lb butts), you're looking at 14lbs pork, and 10.5lbs of brisket.

I try to figure about a half pound of meat per person so you have enough for about 50 with just the brisket and pork. Add in ribs and you're good to go. As for the hamburgers... if they're not barbecue fans can they *really* be considered family? (Just kidding, haha)

I've used the above for making brisket and butts for some gym get-togethers (anywhere from 50-80 people) and family gatherings (~30 people). Never ran out of food and usually had plenty of leftovers. Amazing, delicious leftovers, haha

Well, I’m not going to be able to join in the fun so, you should be pretty good.
Just make sure to have enough ice! I have a friend whose stock saying is “If there isn’t enough ice, it isn’t a party!”
Words to party by!

UPDATE:
I just cooked a four-meat BBQ for 25 on a 18" WSM and a 22" Weber kettle:
2ea 10lb Prime Briskets
2ea Pork Butts
4ea Full racks St Louis Ribs, and
a sh*t-ton of Smoked Chicken wings on the Weber Kettle with a Vortex.

For a TUESDAY night dinner:
* I smoked the two butts on Sunday at 275-300 from 8:00 AM - 7:00ish Rested for an hour unwrapped and pulled, then Vac-sealed and tossed in fridge.
* I WAS thinking of doing a low & slow midnight smoke of the briskets starting Late Monday night, but my experience with prime briskets +/- 8 lbs after trim is that they cook too fast and would have to rest in a cooler too long. So I fired up the WSM early on Tuesday morning for a High Heat smoke. 2 1/2 hours to 165*, wrapped in foil and returned to 325 WSM. I was amazed that they were done in 5 hours! But they probed and temped butter-tender and 200-205*, so I wrapped in towels and placed in a cooler.
* Now that the WSM was empty around 10:00 AM, I decided to do the ribs on that, rather then my original plan of the Slow n' Sear and the kettle. I did the ribs ala 3-2-1 so that they'd be ready for 5:30ish.
* With the Kettle free, I set up the vortex and two rings of wings for a 45-50 cook at 4:30ish using @swampboysBBQ Original rub and Original BBQ Sauce.... F'enn awesome.
* at 5:00, I tossed the BBQ packets into boiling water and waited for the guests.
* we set up a buffet line of the four meats; pulled pork in a hotel pan, cut ribs on a platter, bowl of smoked wings and I carved the brisket to order and served it all along with a sheet of cornbread, hotel pan of BBQ Pork n' Beans, store-bought Mac n' cheese, my brother's (RIP) potato salad, cole slaw, pickles, wonder bread.
17 of family are from the KCMO area and you CANNOT pass mediocre BBQ by them... I have to say THIS WAS AWESOME and an exercise in how to time multiple proteins for a big cook.

Would have been enough for 40~

Back