Fair offer?

Dan Leighton

TVWBB Pro
Someone locally is selling what appears to be a 2008 Genesis EP-310 with the blue doors and hood I've always liked. I've got two 2007 Genesis models in the family. Mine is a E-320 NG black and my son's is a E-320 LP green. I'm offering $150 down from the $250 the seller is asking. I just want a parts grill I can store disassembled plus change my black to blue. Body looks good on it until final inspection. Only negative is it was converted to NG "professionally". I know the manifold mounts differently, but that should not be an issue. Am I being fair in my offer or am I totally off base?

I think if you explain to the seller what you want, and basically say that you just want it for parts then make your offer. If they don't like it they won't sell it. Plus, they should know whether they have any "real" action on it by now.

This is my first experience with OfferUp, so I'll see what develops. I'm used to CL and there seems to be a quicker response there. The seller put this up 3 days ago. Sounds like they probably got a new grill for fathers day. Fingers crossed I would only have offered $100, but I really like the blue hood & doors. Hopefully, the cabinet looks ok on close examination.

I haven't used OfferUp. Do you, like, internet post your offer? Can you call the seller? I like to make a deal verbally, ideally in person. I'm not sure how OfferUp works.

I sent the seller my offer and told them I was looking for a parts grill to support my two existing grills. No telephone contact available that I can see. Would speed things up either way it goes. I want to actually see the grill before buying. They are only about 8 miles from me.

Last edited:
I haven't used OfferUp. Do you, like, internet post your offer? Can you call the seller? I like to make a deal verbally, ideally in person. I'm not sure how OfferUp works.

In my area - for better or worse - OfferUp has overtaken Craigslist, especially among younger posters. I actually prefer OfferUp because it is more interactive and the name itself invites potential buyers to make offers without any shame. Believe me people do. Someone offered me $20 for an almost perfectly restored Premium kettle with brand new grates and ash sweeper:mad:.

Basically it is message based. They try to keep you from exchanging phone numbers and rather stay in their message board to ask questions and set up a meeting. I have had some great experiences and gotten good deals on OfferUp and also dealt with some flakes. I do like their rating system which helps you better evaluate posts.

I sold a blue 320 in Dec or Jan for $300.
Those blues are pretty scarce. If I was the seller I would
not consider letting it go for less that $200 if it everything
is decent - (floor, igniter, burners, flavorizers, grates.)

Dave:
A blue 320 is rare! This 310 looks pretty clean from the outside straight on, but the right side stainless panel isn't locked in the front frame. The one photo of the lid up offers little clue as to the condition of the burners, fl, bars and I can't tell if the grates are CI or stainless. I'd want to see more of it up close, expecially, the LP to NG conversion. Since I've got good manifolds, that may not be an issue. Sidewinder 310's here LP and NG have been selling around $100 when they are around. The SS models have gone 200-300. There would have to be an awful amount right with this grill to go above $150. If it was a 320, I'd definitely do the $200 based on the items you mention.

The question really seems to be how badly do you want blue?

I'm just opining.

Slainte!

Tim

It's Tinder but for grills.

(It's like Facebook Marketplace, the chat is built in)

I heard from the seller tonight by email thru OfferUp that he would let me know. I responded that depending how various parts of the grill look, I might go to $175. On my reply, I gave him my cell number just in case. He hadn't been accepting offer other than the full price and it is still available after being up for 5 days. We will see what develops. Meanwhile had some nice Omaha steaks tonight with mushrooms, broccoli and baked potatoes. Now going to hunker down with our pets to survive the 4th. Between the legal and illegal fireworks, it will go on for a week or so late into the nights disturbing sleep and terrorizing our pets. Happy 4th of July!

The saga continues. Seller says it is a 2006, but the regular enamel enclosed base models weren't offered that year. The seller gave me a number of 3748301. It is a EP-310 with blue lid and doors. Since this is through OfferUp, I can't tell the year. I think it is either a 2007 or 2008. Any help would be appreciated. Weber support wanted a serial number which I don't have. Just want to make sure what I am getting into before going to see it. Thanks.

It probably is a first year, 1st generation 300. He was close with his 06 estimate, although like cars the 2007 models probably came out in the late fall of 2006.

You don’t see it in blue often so if you really like that color - many definitely do - I might not stall too long.

I now have a blue 2007 Genesis for $175. It turned out to be a 2007 model year which means all the parts will match our other two sidewinders exactly. While the grill was filthy, the bones are sound and it has SS grates. I disassembled it in his garage since it is 100 degrees out and the owner didn't want me out in the sun taking it apart. He was impressed how quickly I tore it down and put it into my sedan. Once I get the parts de-grunged, they will go into storage to support our other two grills along with my black hood and doors. I will have to check out the "professionally converted" manifold which is now NG instead of LP. I will compare it to my existing NG manifold. Thanks Jon for the assistance on when it was built.

I've started the degrunge on the grill parts. I've got a handle on cleaning the stainless steel grates and I've got the cleaning tool (chargon) so that is going to happen easily. My biggest question is the warming rack which doesn't look like it was ever removed for any cook in the last 12 years! I think it probably is in pretty good shape underneath all the caked on stuff. Any thoughts on cleaning the warming rack?

I guess I would scrape as much as I can from the racks and then soak in a degreaser. Do you have any pics of it?

I've had luck with power washing it and then using degreaser and steel wool. It's a bit of work but the stainless stuff is usually pristine underneath.

I've started the degrunge on the grill parts. I've got a handle on cleaning the stainless steel grates and I've got the cleaning tool (chargon) so that is going to happen easily. My biggest question is the warming rack which doesn't look like it was ever removed for any cook in the last 12 years! I think it probably is in pretty good shape underneath all the caked on stuff. Any thoughts on cleaning the warming rack?

Soak overnight in oven cleaner, then power wash, or run thru the dishwasher if it will fit.
Finish off whatever remains with a wire cup brush on a grinder or drill.

I don’t believe the warming rack is stainless. Anybody know for sure? I usually give up on those figuring I won’t be able to make them look very good in spoof a lot if work. I never use them on my grills anyway.

Jon: You are correct on the 2007 Genesis. They are chrome plated steel. They are the raised version. I still use the original one once in while to hold baked potatoes while doing steaks on the grill. Did you see the other posting about the distorted flavor bars? Bruce confirmed what I thought about a butchered conversion from LP to NG. They just changed to a whip hose for NG and didn't do anything with the orifices. My black Genesis will be a blue Genesis by Sunday afternoon and I now have plenty of parts for our two 2007's and a set of SS grates. Still haven't tried my grillgrates. No rust in sight here due to the desert.

Back