Genesis 4000 Rotisserie (9890) Advise Needed!

Greg Buck

Hi Everyone,
After searching for way too long, I found an original 9890 rotisserie for my restored grill. Now it's time to use it. My plan is to do a 4 lbs. marinated leg of lamb. Besides tying it so it's uniform, I would be very interested in any recommendations on burner setting for it (HOH maybe?), grill temp I should be aiming for and cooking time. Looking for medium rare. My first time, so any help from all of you would be greatly appreciated. Tomorrow July 3 is the night. Thanks!

Definitely leave center burner OFF. The outer burners are another story. You may be safer on a first time cook (especially something as challenging as leg of lamb) to stay with the 2 outer burners on low. The type of meat will benefit from the longer slower cooking due to so much connective tissue and hard fat deposits that have to break down

You may want to bump the temperature some when you are about thirty degrees from where you want it to crisp up the outside.
I love lamb! Don’t let the poor thing end up gray! Medium is really where Lamb shines, in my opinion.
And always garnish your lamb before it gets to the table, a spray of chopped fresh flat leaf parsley, maybe a drizzle of olive oil. I want a leg of lamb right now!
I’ve got one in the freezer but, no time! I use the Julia Child method and go fairly hot and fast but, indirect, not spun. When things settle down, I’m doing that for ME! Most of the rest of my family does not care for lamb, I try to get them to appreciate more than chicken, beef and pork but, it seems like an uphill battle.
Happy 4th to one and all!

Last edited:
Thank you guys for your help. Lamb turned out great! Rotisserie also worked fine and now I'll use it a lot more often. Marinade was mustard based and formed a great crust on the outside. I did it HOH at first, then turned it down a bit and checked it multiple times with the instant read. Thanks again.

Back