How small is too small?

Dan Godwin

TVWBB Member
Saw a post for free apple wood as someone cut down a tree and put the cuttings out. When I got there it was bunches of branches. I took what I could fit in the hatchback and broke down the branches with the chop saw. Some of the branch diameters get pretty small. What's the smallest pieces of wood that would be useful for smoking? Thanks!

When I use chips, wrap them in alum foil (to make a sealed pouch) to slow down the burn. Put your twigs and stuff in a foil pouch and seal. Never need to poke holes in it as you can't get an air-tight seal anyways.

I've been known to grab green red alder twigs and throw them on the coals for salmon and poultry. But they have to be green, the dry ones burst into flame.

I'm moving in the smaller-is-better direction. I noticed that large chunks are still a recognizable shape after a 14-hour cook -- even after all the briquettes have turned to ash. The WSM fire burns with very little oxygen, so the chunks mostly smolder. I have taken to splitting chunks down to about the size of prescription pill bottle. I throw a few into the chimney along with the briquettes for a Minion cook and when I add them to the chamber, I'll make sure that the all the chunks catch fire before I get the show on the road. I have noticed that the smoke flavor is milder, but still deep and that there's less bitterness. Anyone else have ideas on chunk size?

Jeff

I use a lot of fallen "sticks" from a hickory tree in my yard, pencil size and up, works good as chunks...just don't last as long.

Back