Vacation BBQ for about 30-35 in two weeks...

Tom Jordan

TVWBB Fan
Every year my family rent beach houses and have some great family dinners. This year we will be 30+. I keep an 18" WSM and a 22" Weber Kettle up there in storage and rent a gas grill for the time I'm there. I'm hosting a BBQ night on a Tuesday and plan on; two full packer briskets (approx 13-14lb), two butts for pulled pork and four slabs of St Louis ribs. Here's the schedule I'm planning on:

Monday morning, toss the butts on the WSM 8:00 am-ish since we're not eating until Tuesday I'm not up against a deadline for dinner. Pull them off when done and rest on the counter until they can be pulled. Pull the meat and seal in either ziplocks or vac-seal for sous vide reheat on Tuesday.

Monday night, 11:00ish reset the WSM for the two briskets. I plan on one on the top and one on the lower shelf at 225ish and figure that the extra meat (I've never done two in the 18 before) will require extra time and I do not want to be up against it on Tuesday afternoon.

Then, on Tuesday morning arount 11:00, set the kettle up with the Slow n Sear at 225 to do the ribs. I did three racks on the kettle and SnS last year and they were the best I have ever done. I think I can get the fourth rack on if I do some creative butchering to fit on the rack.

IF I get some time in ghe last hour, I plan on Vortex BBQ Chicken wings and some smoked brats from the WSM.

After that... it's consume some Woodfords and smoke a crusty 20 year old Ashton VSG Cabinet!!!

Happy vacation!

Sounds like a well-planned and awesome time with the family! Enjoy. Given your experience you likely know this but I've seen some folks here curl their ribs, as shown here and taken from this cooking topic:

d6GxemF.png
[/IMG]

https://virtualweberbullet.com/wsmcapacity.html

B, I’ve done that many times on my WSM, but that’ll be tired up with the two briskets. I had great results with the ribs on ankettle with the SnS, so that’s my plan for now.

Using 4 bamboo skewers you may be able to stand the ribs on their thick edges. Sort of a Redneck rib rack. I've done this with Pork Butts to get an extra on the cooking grate. Never did it with ribs but it might work. Just an "off the wall" thought.

Last edited:
I saw “Barbecue Pit Boys” vid where the guys rub, roll and tie the racks. Then they put them in CI skillets and just soak the life out of them in a gooey sauce for an eon. Too sticky and messy for my taste but, the method looks pretty interesting, I plan on trying that soon.

Back