Difficulty Using Thermapen

Dave S Iowa

I often cook chicken breasts on the grill and a pretty good percentage of the time they get overcooked and dry. I bought a thermapen to help me to pull the chicken off the grill when its done and food safe but before its been overcooked and dried out. But my experience so far with taking temps on the grill has been more trouble than anything. I'll have difficulties finding the center of the meat. I'll push the probe pretty much through the meat and start pulling back but it seems the further the probe gets away from the grill surface the cooler the temps read. I thought the center would have the coolest readings but that hasn't been my experience so far. It seems like the top part of the meat will read the coolest, even if ive already grilled that side and flipped it. Does anyone have any pointers for how to best use my thermapen on the grill to get accurate readings? I'd appreciate it!

Guess I'll go first.
If you're not brining, and pounding or slicing the breasts to an more even thickness, try that.
Lift them from the grate with tongs and go in through the side, to the center only. The temp will probably be a bit lower than it has already attained.
If you're shooting for 165, pull them at 160, residual heat will take them higher.

Hold the Thermapen by placing your thumb and forefinger on the probe at a length from the tip that represent 1/2 the thickness of the particular meat. Insert the probe into the meat up to where your thumb and forefinger are located. This procedure is most useful when probing aluminum foiled ribs !! Saves creating a leakage hole in the bottom of the foiled package...

I know it is not what Thermapen recommends, but I also go in from the side like Bob. Have had excellent results since stopping trying to take the temperature from the top.

Back