Hello from KC

Aaron L in KC

Name is Aaron. Very little smoking experience but I am ready to get more. Cant figure out exactly which one I want, the 14 or 18.

Also, I found a thread a few days ago, it went in depth with pictures and compared all models and even showed how different meat stacked on the different models. I want to read it again, if anyone knows where it is, can you please link it in a reply?

Thanks!

I think the most popular size is 18". It also has the advantage of a larger charcoal size.

How many people are you going to cook for on average?

I'm no expert, Aaron, since I just bought my 18.5 a week ago. But having done my seasoning run and my first cook, I can tell you that it will hold plenty of capacity. The 22.5 would be good if your cooking for 20+ people, but it just seemed overkill for me.

I have a family of 3 and my first ribs were 2 full 3.5lb racks on the upper grate. They came out amazing and the lower grate obviously wasn't even used. Those 2 racks fed my wife and I two nights straight.

I plan to do a whole brisket tomorrow and the 18.5 will accommodate a 10-14lb brisket without a sweat...the 22.5...well, lets say you could probably fit 2 of them on the top grate alone. The 14.5 would likely be tight for a single whole brisket.

Welcome aboard Aaron. I owned all three at one time but sold the 22.5 and will eventually sell the 24.5. If I only had one it would be the 18.5. Not too big to cook for two on but big enough for 40# of Pork Butts. Extremely versatile and not a fuel hog.

Good luck with your decision, that all cook great.

Back