The dubious masculinity of grilling

Game on: "Translation: Are women and their efficiency making the backyard barbecue a better meal?"

M'lady KMA when it comes to chops or steaks on the grill, but she started as a short order cook and knows her way around a griddle or grill.

Tim

There's Tootsie Tomanetz and Snow's Barbecue, but I can't think of any other lady pitmasters in Central Texas.

Last edited:
I hadn't grilled in almost 10 years, until I met Pammi just about 20 years with her little 2 burner burger burner.
After I proposed, we upgraded to a slightly better 2 burner burger burner, then a nice and shiny SS Chinese ECB.
I've upgraded to a Weber Genesis and kettle since then.
Pammi will man the gasser if I'm not going to be home in time and does a great job!
She's kinda skittish about the kettle though.
Which we are both okay with!

I trust y'all know I was merely quoting the article and was not truly intending to suggest our ladies can't man the grill :)

My Dad had a grill exactly like this one back in the day. I had completely forgotten all about it.

GettyImages_563941531.0.jpg

So did my parents but it was till my mother's domain. Dad wanted nothing to do with, well......................either that or my mother wouldn't let him have anything to do with it LOL

Guys, it is usually hot, smoky, bugs, lots of standing to grlll something outside. The kitchen (nowadays with AC) is cool, while we fix everything else. Do you think we are stupid to take over the grilling also? lol

Do you think we are stupid to take over the grilling also? lol

LOL, Joan. You are one sharp cookie. I have a mostly-covered area where I can smoke and grill; I think I have to admit I'd do less of it without that work space.

LOL, Joan. You are one sharp cookie. I have a mostly-covered area where I can smoke and grill; I think I have to admit I'd do less of it without that work space.

Thanks!!!! lol DH says to tell you he has a covered place to grill also, in a screened-in patio and a pool to dive in if it gets to hot and I STILL won't do the grilling. lol

I don't see any barriers keeping women from grilling and barbecue. So what's the problem ?

Seems to me , if women had the interest , then just as many women as men would be grilling in the backyard.

I really disagree with the writers assertion that differences between men and women are socially constructed, or however the writer phrased it. I raised two daughters. I would've been thrilled if they showed an interest in my barbecue obsession, but no, they had other things to do. In fact, they showed no interest in any of my " manly " activities. IMO, the differences are genetic.

And even today, if either one of them wanted to spend some time with Dad on the patio with any of my cookers, I'd be thrilled to share what I do.

Social scientists , ehhhhh, I can live without em.

I think there is something manly about it, but I don't see it in anyway a men only thing or even that men are inherently better at it. I wish I could get my wife into it more. I do a lot of cooking inside as well and I certainly wouldn't want to call that feminine. When my wife does grill she pretty much nails it every time. When we do a big cookout she pretty much does 90% of the work and I get 90% of the praise.

I'd like to see some stereotypes go away. Try finding a baby changing station in a men's room for instance. That's always a good time.

I think there is something manly about it, but I don't see it in anyway a men only thing or even that men are inherently better at it. I wish I could get my wife into it more. I do a lot of cooking inside as well and I certainly wouldn't want to call that feminine. When my wife does grill she pretty much nails it every time. When we do a big cookout she pretty much does 90% of the work and I get 90% of the praise.

I'd like to see some stereotypes go away. Try finding a baby changing station in a men's room for instance. That's always a good time.

Dustin, when your wife does the grilling, who does the other stuff?

You have a real good point there about a baby changing station in men's room. That is something I bet a lot of us have never thought about before.

Dustin, when your wife does the grilling, who does the other stuff?

You have a real good point there about a baby changing station in men's room. That is something I bet a lot of us have never thought about before.

In those cases, she probably does the other stuff too!:)

Back