Found 1999 Genesis 1000 LX Burgundy in trash. Now its saved and going to my son

DrBSmith

We were heading to my brothers house for Sunday dinner and we drove past this grill sitting out for trash. I didn't have anyway to pick it up until my son stopped by with his new truck. I said don't get mad but we are going to go pick up this greasy old Weber grill down the street and put it into your brand new truck bed. He hesitated and said sure. It was very dirty, well used, and missing all three burners, the 2 firebox burner hold down screws, all three knobs.

Both of my sons know I love Weber grills. I still have my beloved Weber Genesis 1000 Redhead that I got for Fathers Day back in 1996. We keep it at our Mountain Condo for use on the weekends. Its well used and works well. It will get restored someday.

I decided to "restify" this 1999 Burgundy for my oldest son. We named it "The Ron Burgundy"

Thanks to all the information on this forum, I was able to finished it today.

Here are some pictures of the process and finished product. I regret not taking before pictures, but I'm sure you all know what they look like when they are initially saved from the garbage.

uc

uc

uc

uc

uc

uc

uc

uc

uc

Last edited:
Sharp grill DrB and welcome to TVWBB! Maroon and gray were my high school class colors. I personally like these maroon hoods even better than the classic redhead ones. Very classy in my book. You have a really nice example that I am sure will serve you well for years to come. Some elbow grease and I am sure way less $ than what you would have spent on a big box store disposable grill.

Very nice work! I hope I can restore my 1999 grill to the same level as you did.

Was there any challenges encountered during your restoration?

Very nice work! I hope I can restore my 1999 grill to the same level as you did.

Was there any challenges encountered during your restoration?

I had a lot of fun cleaning this grill up and as I said before, this forum is filled with info on anything you may need. I just had to search a bunch of threads for the nitty gritty. Most of what you need is in this sticky thread at the top of the Weber gas grill page. https://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?69605-From-Drab-to-Fab-Putting-together-a-quot-How-To-quot-Restoration-Guide

My issues were:
1. removal of the firebox bolt. I tried everything but ended up drilling out the broken bolt and replaced with a stainless steel nut and bolt 1/4-20 x 2
2. deciding whether to repaint frame or leave it.. I decided to leave it and buffed the original frame paint with light compound. It turned out well.
3. Deciding what paint to use on firebox and side panels. I used Rustoleum High Heat on firebox and its flat. On the sides of the lid I used Rustoleum High Heat Ultra which is semigloss.
4. I decided to clean and grease the valves. Glad I did. Take lots of pictures and do one at a time. They go back together only one way! Use high temp brake grease.
5. Removal of Weber emblem and restoring it. I decided to use high Temp RTV to re-install, instead of finding the push washers.
6. The Ron B. is running too hot. 650 on high, 550 on medium, and 500 on low. Not sure why but after troubleshooting tonight, I am down to it possibly being the original regulator. If I do not figure this out I will start a new thread for help!

Damn, you done good. I love that color on the hood. How about some photos of the inside???

When everything is brand new and the fire box is really cleaned out they do run quite a bit hotter until they get some buildup. It's because the bare metal in the fire box bounces more heat around inside while the carbon buildup absorbs it
And BTW really nice looking job

Damn, you done good. I love that color on the hood. How about some photos of the inside???

Bruce,

I power washed, scraped and used easy off oven cleaner on the inside. My son wanted to use the old grates and flavorizer bars for this summer since they have some life left in them. He will be buying replacements in the future. In other words its well used but "cleanish" inside.

Does anyone know what size orifice is standard for LP Genesis 1000? I measured with the drill bit and was able to fit a #57 and #58 bit inside all three orifices. They looked original and untouched and the grill had the original LP hose and regulator so I would guess that the orifices are not the issue for the high heat.

Possible someone slapped a Propane hose on a natural gas regulator without converting the orifices.

Possible someone slapped a Propane hose on a natural gas regulator without converting the orifices.

From the small amount of print left on the ID decal, it is definitely a LP model from the factory. What I need to know is what size the orifices should be for LP.

Try the regulator can get one cheap on Amazon, I had this happen on my 1000 it went bad and was running way to hot like you mention. It solved the problem.

What Brian said. But, you would want to replace the hose with the regulator.

Two foot hose and regulator: https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B01LPUN73U/tvwb-20

Three foot hose and regulator: https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B078K8DSXC/tvwb-20

I am glad to hear that the orifices are likely correct at #57 or #58.
I am pretty sure I have a new regulator I bought and never used for my Redhead Genesis in our condo in the Mountains.

I will try a new regulator and let you know!

One thing however. The orifices seem correct but that does not mean the correct valves are in there. The older style grills are VERY touchy about trying to do a "conversion". If the grill was a NG grill and someone put LP orifices on it it is gonna run quite a lot hotter on low/med than you would expect. Not unsafe amount but enough to make you notice, and have to regulate temps by turning off burner(s) in addition to turning them down

One thing however. The orifices seem correct but that does not mean the correct valves are in there. The older style grills are VERY touchy about trying to do a "conversion". If the grill was a NG grill and someone put LP orifices on it it is gonna run quite a lot hotter on low/med than you would expect. Not unsafe amount but enough to make you notice, and have to regulate temps by turning off burner(s) in addition to turning them down

I totally agree with what you are saying about the LP vs NG valves. What would i look for inside the valves to confirm they are LP?

The grill does have a propane scale, a faint LP on whats left of the tag, LP hose and regulator, the remnants of the clip on the hose that held the quick disconnect adapter for the tank, and and #58 orifices mentioned above.

I will be buying a new hose and regulator. My 1999 Genesis still has the original elbow fitting from the manifold to the hose which I did find was leaking. I've seen where others have picked up a new adapter to match up to the new version of the regulator and hose. Could someone please verify what new fitting I will need to replace the old elbow fitting and match the new hose configuration?

It sounds to me like it was not a conversion based on the orifices and the LP markings you found. I think that conversions are rarer than we on this board seem to think, but not out of the question either. Just based on the LP markings and the correct orifice sizes, I'd say you are 95% sure to have an LP setup. If they had converted to NG, it would have much larger orifices, and in the even unlikelier event that it was converted back, well that's your 5%.

Just my opinion.

Slainte!

Tim

Back