4th of July cook advise needed

Michael DC

One of our neighbors hosts an annual July 4th BBQ blowout party. He usually cooks 6 briskets using his kamado. He asked my help in smoking 2 more briskets in my WSM. I also want to cook 2 pork butts to bring to the party. I have a WSM 22 and a 18.5. Should I cook everything at the same time on the 22 or use the 22 for the briskets and later on in the night fire up the 18.5 for the butts?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd think you'd have a hard time getting 2 briskets and 2 butts on at the same time. I'd probably fire up both smokers if you have the access. If you can fit it all on the 22 then do that.

First off, congratulations for asking your questions well in advance of your cook date. I would probably use both WSMs (if I had two), with the briskets in the 22 and the butts in the 18. Just a tip, but I'd also add 3 hours to the end of your cooking timeline for the meats to rest before the party.

Jeff

I love this community! I decided to divide and conquer! Butts on my 18.5 and the briskets on the 22. Since I have never cooked 2 briskets at the same time, should I rotate them before the wrap?

Michael;
I typically cook two butts at a time on my 18.5" WSM (it also works on my 14.5" WSM). I put one on each food grate. After I wrap, I switch places (put the butt that was on the top grate on the bottom and vice/versa. I try to have both butts near the same weight.

Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

I am in the two briskets on the 22.5 and 2 butts in the 18 camp. And I would rotate the briskets.

I’d fire up the 22 for High Heat Briskets and the 18 for Butts each cut into thirds or quarters to make the cooking progress faster. But most of all I’d have fun!

The briskets were just dropped off. One is 14.25lb and the other is a 13.75lb. I’m glad I decided to use both pits.

Back