Texas Twinkies

Cliff Bartlett

R.I.P. 5/17/2021
My daughter in law loves my ABT's. She spotted these "Twinkies" and hinted she'd like them. A little different than my standard poppers but gave them a try.

Used whole jalapenos with cream cheese and a couple ounces of some smoked brisket I had in the freezer.

enhance

Wrapped with a whole strip of bacon. Tried to go without toothpicks but later added a few.

enhance

Ran my grill at a steady 350 for 30 minutes.

enhance

Bacon crisped up pretty well. Sorry about the shadow. I was in a big rush and didn't have time to go for a better shot.

enhance

Made a bbq sauce and glazed the peppers right after pulling from the grill.

I held six back from the birthday "Twinkies" for us to enjoy today.

enhance

enhance

They were a hit and fun to make. Will keep in the arsenal. Thanks for looking.

Bet those were super tasty. Barb is the popper maker here can't wait to see what she says when she sees these poppers.

Thank you for the comments everyone!

Texas Twinkes look guud. But a little on the hot side for me.

These really aren't too hot Russ. Meant to mention that. The jalapenos are gutted, seeds and membranes, and then placed in 300 degree oven for 10 minutes. Then they are immediately placed in ice water to stop cooking. This supposedly extracts additional seed oil rendering them pretty mild. The bbq sauce at the very end is also sweet.

Listened to a podcast with Panther City Barbecue yesterday, its in Ft Worth. They make a Texas Twinkie but use pork belly burnt ends in the jalapeno. Made my mouth water.

The variations on ABT's or poppers or whatever ya wanna call em, are endless.

Thank you for the comments everyone!

These really aren't too hot Russ. Meant to mention that. The jalapenos are gutted, seeds and membranes, and then placed in 300 degree oven for 10 minutes. Then they are immediately placed in ice water to stop cooking. This supposedly extracts additional seed oil rendering them pretty mild. The bbq sauce at the very end is also sweet.

Those look amazing. That is a very good tip that I've never though of. It seems that jalepenos can very wildly in heat level. Even when I de-seeded them and cut out the ribs that they can be overpowering sometimes. Sometimes they are too mild, though.

Thanks for the link Bob. I haven't planted a garden for a few years because of the deer population around here. They enjoy the garden as much as we do. I might try these in a container on the deck or back yard area though. I enjoy the hot peppers but there's a few in the family that don't. These would be handy for those occasions.

Thanks for the link Bob. I haven't planted a garden for a few years because of the deer population around here. They enjoy the garden as much as we do. I might try these in a container on the deck or back yard area though. I enjoy the hot peppers but there's a few in the family that don't. These would be handy for those occasions.
You're welcome, Cliff.

Speaking of deer.
I was just out on our deck and was seeing a bird feeder, at a neighbors two houses down, bouncing around with no breeze out.
My big lens revealed a deer eating from the feeder, got a couple of shots, still on the SD card.
This is in the middle of the day.

Back