Tricks and Suggestions appreciated

George Si

TVWBB Super Fan
I will be doing a 2 bone prime rib this weekend on rotisserie on my Silver B. Any helpful suggestions like setting up on spit etc. greatly appreciated. I guess I skewer it through its sides?

Are you going bone in or not? If not, I would tie it up anyway to get it as circular as possible and then skewer it through the middle from the sides. I'm sure some guys have done this exact cook. It sounds delicious.

I thi would just treat it like a beautiful big steak! Sear the “faces” then stand it up on the ribs until it gets to your desired temperature.
Four ribs, then I’d spin it.

Treat it like a large steak. Though because of the fat and connective tissue content of "rib" area beef I would use only moderate heat. Low/Med low, the roast will have more than enough time to develop a maillard reaction and a nice crust. Pushing a large cut like this with high heat will only give you a nice looking but tough roast.

Usually I do it in the oven at 200 degrees till it reaches around 125-128 degrees, then take it out, crank oven to 500 then put back in for about 6-8 min.
Never have done in a Grill....So rotisserie at low heat or not but would sear at high heat first, then slow rotisserie????George

Believe me a simple roasting at moderate heat will work wonders. A 2 bone will spend more than enough time roasting at moderate eat levels to develop a nice crust especially if it is well seasoned just prior to being placed in the heat. I have tried both the really low/slow than ripping hot and the moderate heat all the way through. On a small 2 bone or the large cut super thick cowboy steak moderate all the way through works best

I’m just thinking if I don’t put any kind of pan under the greats all the fat will just drip down onto the flavor riser bars and into the drip pan or is that what it supposed to do

It does, It's gotta go somewhere. No reason a small pan will hurt anything, but don't use one you care about keeping. If you're running the 2 outside burners at low to med enough heat is going to be don there to turn that pan into a crusty mess. I guess you could put some water in it but then it's one more thing you have to watch. Me personally I don't bother. That's what the drip tray is for, plus you do still get some nice smoke off from the flavo bars even over the non operating burner

Finished did as you guys suggested. It was delicious, only next time would keepin grill to 128-130 degrees then let sit

Back