Smoking at a Beaver Camp Thanks to the TVWBB

Chris S in YEG

TVWBB Fan
Hello All

I recently organized a Beaver Camp (Scouts Canada) for 15, 5-7 year olds and their parents. It has taken me a few years to convince others in my group that camp food did not have to be roasted hot dogs all the time. Last year at our spring camp I smoked 5 chickens which turned out great and had rave reviews. This year I set my sights higher and was doing pulled pork. The Cub pack who was also camping was joining us for dinner, so I had a little over 50 people to cook for. I brought along 4 10lb pork butts and my 22" WSM. My only concern was the monitoring of the WSM during the cook. We had activities and hikes planned throughout the day which meant I could not babysit the WSM or I would miss out on all the activities and spending that time with my son (he is a beaver). I stressed about whether I would be able to pull off the pulled pork dinner and dedicate the amount of attention needed to run a successful camp. I considered asking a parent who did not want to participate in an activity to monitor the WSM, but that was quickly dismissed. Prior to the camp I was browsing the forum and I came across the Smoker vs Oven debate.

https://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?77799-Smoker-vs-Oven&highlight=oven

After reading through the posts I settled on my answer, I would use the ovens in the mess hall to finish off the Pork Butts once they were wrapped.

So at camp I started trimming, salting and seasoning the butts around 11 pm and had them on the WSM around 1:15 am. Monitored them from my cot in the mess hall till my son woke me up at 5:00 am. Got up made coffee (alot of coffee) and started breakfast. The butts hit 150 at 5:30. Breakfast was done and cleaned up at 9:00 and the Beavers were out playing. The butts had stalled and were sitting at 160. I took them off the WSM wrapped them in foil and had them in 2 ovens preheated to 225 around 9:30 am.

I was able to provide some quality time for the parents and their children by taking them on a few adventures and running a few activities.

At 4:30 pm the butts hit 200 and I probed tested, they were fall apart tender. I pulled them from the oven and let them rest while we prepared the rest of the meal. At 5:30 I pulled the pork and server some very hungry kids, parents and leaders. The reviews were great.

The camp was a success and I had some very happy and satisfied families.

So in summary. Thank-You all for your knowledge and wisdom.

Chris in YEG.

Congrats on the successful cook, thanks for sharing. A lot of great people and great info on this site.

I had to do something similar when I cooked a case of butts for my daughters sweet sixteen party.
The day was super windy that day and I had trouble holding my heat and ran close on time. When the time came that we had to leave the house we wrapped all the butts in foil and put them in the ovens at the hall, a few were done so I started pulling them while the others finished up, it was not what I wanted because I normally like them to rest for a while in a cooler but they turned out great.

Back