Bialy?

Len Dennis

TVWBB Diamond Member
Yup. Didn't know either but came across the word in a puzzle and thought I'd look it up. Turns out it's similar to a bagel but is baked (but not boiled).

Very very slack dough but is extremely tender (like a papo seco). Gives a nice crusty bottom as well (all water, no milk). I'd recommend this for bakers who have some experience as the dough is quite diffficult to work with.

https://www.foodrepublic.com/recipes/everything-you-need-to-know-about-the-bialy-including-a-recipe/

This is what they're supposed to look like:
Bialys-Bonni.jpg

But mine didn't . They started out that way. Using a poolish BTW adds a ton of flavour.
RZRZ5MY.jpg

But once baked they looked like mini volcanos.

DFNoLu2.jpg

bb2hAPm.jpg

The onions don't stick either so once the finished bialy was cut, I just dump the onions that fall off onto the cut halves, add some butter and cheddar on the side.

vG7ChyF.jpg

Hi Len, love your little volcano's. lol Thank you for the link to the recipe, copied. I only have 1 recipe for Bialy's and it calls for dehydrated onion flakes, yuck!!! Glad yours calls for real onion. DH is interested in making them. Time will tell. lol

Len, not sure if this is included in the process you used (didn't have time to look at your link), but did you dock the dough in the center? That should have the effect of limiting the spring that creates the volcanoes. Something like this (stolen from one of the contributors at thefreshloaf.com)

48128702177_631f4aac44_c.jpg

Oh yeah. Nice divot but not as big as your pic .-prob half of whats in your pic. In addition I expected the texture to be more like a bagel--this was very soft.

Amazing what a diff boiling appears to make in texture.

In an aside it's nice that even with small errors the end result still tastes great :D

Last edited:
Oh, yeah, I've had plenty of ugly looking cooking attempts that tasted great! You can (almost) always eat the errors! :)

R

Back