Another question on high heat paint.

Stefan H

TVWBB Guru
Guys I need your help again from the folks who have restored and repainted the side winders with grey. I have used the Ford Engine Gray from Dupli Color. Since it is only rated till 500 degrees I was hoping it might hold up to some higher temps but it doesn't. Heated the grill up tonight to around 700 according to the lid thermometer and the paint started bubbling up in some areas. Mainly where it splattered before. And even testing other areas of the lid with a screwdriver revealed that the paint got soft. This is a no go.
Do I need to sand it back down completely and start from scratch with another grey high heat paint? Or should I sand down the thicker paint areas and heat it up to burn in the paint? Or can I salvage it and sand the paint and try to burn it in?
Looking for some advice. thanks.

I would definitely get all the Duplicolor paint off and start from scratch. You might be able to take it off easily with some paint thinner. I am glad to know this though. I haven't done any of my grills with gray paint yet but I am going to be doing a Platinum and was thinking about trying to keep it as close to factory as possible. But, I know to steer clear of the Duplicolor 500 degree stuff now.

This a really depressing thread for someone who recently bought at an auto parts store and ordered online somewhere around 7 or 8 cans of that Duplicolor stuff:(...

My hope was to use some of the really cool colors like Pontiac Blue and Ford Green to make some out of the ordinary Q lid colors. I guess I will have to put it to the test on one of my Q's. It doesn't sound very promising.

If you confine your choices to 1000 degree + paint your options are a lot more limited - and often more expensive. If Duplicolor is a flop on the Q as well, I guess I will have to look at Stovebright spray paints that at least offer a lot of colors to make up for their high prices.

Last edited:
This is certainly a timely topic. I had a sidewinder last week that was giving me fits.
It belonged to a friend that has bugged me for a while to do a good detailing, and
partial resto for him. The ends looked really bad, and I have never found any hi-temp
gray that looked even close, so I decided to give some hi-temp silver a try.

C9byjJDl.jpg

I was not impressed, nor was he. We ended up going with the Rustoleum
flat black grill paint on the firebox and the sides. I thought it looked decent,
but he liked it better than the original gray, and that was all that mattered
on that particular grill. I will likely be doing this again soon. I have another
that has all sorts of cosmetic issues, and needs all the help it can get.

jgecOSMl.jpg

Judge for yourself whether you like it or not. No matter what though, these
old sidewinders aren't getting any younger, and we will be having to find a solution
for this more often than not very soon.

I have to confess that I used VHT Ford Gray on a couple 300 series grills I rehabbed. I never had them long enough to be absolutely sure the gray paint worked, but I don’t remember these problems when I did a burn off. I do personally think the 300 series grills look better with gray. StoveBright might be the most viable option for really high heat paint in gray.

I experimented with the high temperature silver when I restored my circa 2013 NG Spirit. It was a disaster. Super thin and dripped all over. I let it dry and went with black.

This whole paint experience is a learning curve. I will heat up the grill once more and see if it might actually burn in. But I doubt it. I will keep you posted.
I did black lid sides on a black 300 before and I really liked it too.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/dnX6ohPqp1kAYjDH7

This time however I have a SS320 which is all SS on lid and doors. So black would be too far off since there is no other black piece on it. I will strip down the Ford Grey paint and try the VHT grey primer I have at home. This is rated for up to 2000F. VHT also makes another grey flameproof high heat.

And all the other high heat grey paints are getting really expensive. Has anyone tried any of the Stove-Bright paints? "6201 Charcoal" might be a fit.
https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0087487EW/tvwb-20

I would also not mind rolling brush on paint since I have great experience with the Rustoleum brush on high heat paint.

So just to give an update on that New Ford Paint on the grill. Verdict: Do NOT use it.
Did three test runs at 700 degrees (lid thermometer) for 30 to 45 min over the past 3 days. Every time the lid sides started smoking badly. And it stank. You could smell that stink yards away. I can NOT have someone putting food on that grill with these kind of fumes. No I did not paint the inside but the fiirebox is partially covered by the lid.
On top of that new bubbles popped up.
The verdict is that this is NOT a suitable grill paint unless you want to poison your customer.
I will now get some paint stripper and try to get rid of that paint. Hopefully it works.
I have not decided yet on the type of paint.

Last edited:
Bruce I have seen these. But they are expensive. I wish Rustoleum would offer their white high heat paint in a brush on version. Then I could start mixing it with black to get closer to a grey.

Stefan,
I tried but it is hard to show. The lid is Weber paint (I think anyway, I didn't paint them) The cook box is the VHT. What doesn't show is the VHT is more metallic looking.

XWkY6hF.jpg

Scott
:genesisplatinum:

I think that is a pretty acceptable compromise to get very high heat safe paint. I am trying to like the black on the 300 series grills, but I personally would choose this instead. If you did the firebox, lid sides, and table sides all in this, most would never know there was a difference.

Back