Comparison of old Genesis and newer genesis sidewinder

George Si

TVWBB Super Fan
How do the two compare? The old Silver/Gold/Platinum side control(E/W) burners, to the newer Genesis (2010), side control E/W burners? Are the older ones deeper for rotisserie?. Thanks. George
PS almost have talked son to return 2 burner char-broil, and keep his Q2200, which I cleaned(tubes/box)-works great...Someone mentioned the Q is a more maintenance grill because of lack of Flavorer Bars. His burner only worked 2/3 so I brake cleared and strong sprayed the tube and now works like a charm

The firebox depth is the same between the B, C and the newer side winder 3xx series styles. Only place the fire box is really deeper is on the old dual layer styles

George: I think the beauty is in the eye of the beholder. My 2007 has the enclosed base which I like for hiding tools, etc. On the negatives, cabinets prone to rust and of course the battery push button igniter. If I had to replace the 2007 Genesis, I would definitely be looking at anything prior to 2011 to have the E-W burners.

I have had ribs on my 2001 Silver B for quite a few hours now. I have the front burner on anywhere between medium/medium high) and the temp of the meat is stuck on approx. 150 degrees. I have tried 2 different thermopro probes and the thermapen. The burners is heating up fine...Could it be the big drip pan I have underneath the ribs that is restricting heat circulation?? Annoying!

I like both grills. I have the S320 and 1300LX. I think the S320 gets hotter quicker because there are fewer flavor bars. I also like the enclosed cabinet. But the 1300LX was my first Weber and is probably my favorite. I don't notice any difference in cooking between the two.

George is it windy today? What temp is the hood gauge reading? If you are keeping the lid closed, the pan shouldn't be impacting things much. Just wondering why you've got an extra pan in there. My 2007 Genesis with only the front burner a tab above low runs about 225F with an air temp of about 85F Just did some ribs low and slow the other day when we were setting a daytime temp low of 89F breaking a record going back to 1937.

I finally pulled it and the meat was done but it was an odd rack. There were a lot of fat pockets which I think I kept hitting. But the silver b was great. A lot of work area. I guess some people who like it higher might put it on blocks if not a whole lot of movement is needed. BTW I posted in grilling section but don’t know how many go there. I was looking for tips on rotisserie 2 bone prime rib. Do I skewer it through the sides? Thanks. George

That's what I am going to end up doing the slow cook then high heat sear....Why is a large 2 bone not good for rotisserie?

It's too small for rotisserie cooking and the heat from the rotisserie rod will over cook it due to conduction. BTW don't bother with the 2 step process. Waste of time. On that size hunk o meat there is no advantage. Been there and done that. It works well on either a really large roast or on a steak in the 1 to 1.5" range

So, just slow cook it on the grill around 200 degrees, I never know if i should use a pan under it, because in the oven I put it in a pan to roast, but on a grill?
BTW the Q that my son had was an issue with clogging. I took out the burner, used brake parts cleaner and hard spray from hose and works perfectly!

I would not even call it slow cook. More of moderate to medium heat. No pan. Just indirect roast is all Good the Q is working

Yes, but by indirect, he means just run one or two burners and put the meat on the part of the grates that is NOT over the burners that are on.

Again I hate repeating the question but won't all the fat drippings just go to the drip pan. That is not an issue?? george

Yes George, just roast directly on the grates but set up the grill for indirect cooking. And you don't need an extra drip pan for it, the Weber one will do just fine and the fat drippings won't be an issue.

Back