Better Grill to Restore - A Genesis 5000 or A Genesis Platinum C

I'm trying to decide what the better grill to restore is - I'd wanted to get one with a sider burner. I'd imagine there is some debate between the older 13 flavorizer bars and the 'newer' 5 flavorizer bars.

I'm looking at this grill
00A0A_aUhSzHv6jMP_600x450.jpg
which has the 13 bars but needs some frame work.

And I purchased this grill
IMG-7750-1-1.jpg
but it has rust on frame next to the firebox and is missing the left side platform. This one has the 5 bars.

Any thoughts here in terms of every day preformance between the two?

Thanks!

I would go with the first one. That isn't a Genesis 5000 though. It is a 3000 or maybe 4000. I am not sure of the specific difference between those two, but the 5000 has an enclosed cabinet and glass doors. That grill is MUCH more complete than the second one, a Genesis Platinum C. You will need a lot of parts to fix that one up and I expect the cabinet will have a lot of rust in it..

Performance wise, I think the first one might have the edge due to the deep fire box and two rows of flavorizer bars, but I don't think the difference is enough to be a big factor.

I would go with the 3000 but scavenge the side burner from the other to put on the 3000 as it's a much better burner

If the Platinum C had the other side table, my vote would be for it. Not very common and a really cool "macho" looking grill. The burgundy color is a plus to me at least.

I think the older 13 bar design may have some advantage in temperature evenness and would be a better platform for rotisserie based on comments by those here with experience with that. You can't go wrong with a classic Genesis either way, but I suspect that Platinum would cost you a lot more to restore. Finding a replacement for the missing side table with the matching maroon porcelain top would be close to a needle in a haystack. For that reason I would put my $ into the 3000 and part out the Platinum.

I don't know if you can realistically swap the burner since it is designed differently for a very different larger table. If you could that would be great. I do think swapping the hood could be accomplished if you wanted to. If that is fade and not removable stains on the top of the 3000 hood swapping might make some real sense.

The original Genesis 1-5, the x000 series that followed, the Silver (B,C but NOT the A), Gold and Platinum all use the same size grates as do the 3-burner Spirits and I believe the 1st generation 4-burner Summit.

I like the 13 flavorizor grills better. Not because of more flavorizors though. I like the slat side tables better.

I do think the series with only 5 flavorizors heats up a bit faster.

Back