Anyone has issues with Duplicolor High Heat Spray cans?

Stefan H

TVWBB Guru
I have been working on this SS320 over the weekend and repainted the firebox and lid sides with the Dupli-Color New Ford Grey. I did shake the can for minutes and initially the spray pattern was fine. But after a few seconds the can just spit a out a solid burst paint leaving a big heap of paint on the surface. And this happened several times. I thought it was the can and got a new one. Same issues again. This is really annoying. It took a lot of time since I had to let the paint dry and sand it down. I was able to kind of get it done with tilting the can downwards. But even then it started splattering paint.
I never had any problems with the other high heat spray cans such as Rustoleum or Krylon. Has anyone else had issues with these Dupli-Color cans?
I really don't want to use these cans again and trying to find out what other high heat grey might work.

Stephan, just make sure the tip of your finger or the tip of a glove is not lapping over and blocking the spray. I had this happen when using rubber gloves where the tip of the glove isn't tight on the finger and partially blocks the spray, totally messing up the spray pattern. At first, I thought it was the can of paint. It took me a while to realize what was going on. I to returned a can of paint thinking it was bad. But I realized later that it was probably fine and it was just my latex glove.

Bruce my finger did not block the nozzle. . I did some googling and it looks like this seems to be an issue happening more often.
This is is the only can I had issues with. Paint came out of the can like a jet stream.
Here is one of the mishaps:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Dx5QoRe7f2ExfYhh6

Last edited:
Gotcha Stefan. I hate to say it, but that picture made me laugh a little. That is way worse than the time my glove was partially blocking the nozzle. I have learned to spray the can in a safe direction to test it before directing it at the grill part I am painting. It is a collosal mess when that kind of thing happens. If it is an initial coat, it isn't bad as you can simply grab some paint thinner and wipe it off, but if it a second or third or later coat, it either requires stripping the whole area or letting it dry and sanding smooth which in the case of the underlying original textured paint, not even a possibility.

<scratches head> Solids aren't fully suspended. First thing that would come to mind is temperature. If the paint is cold, it's a lot more difficult to agitate and suspend the solids. It's also important to properly shake the can, an up and down motion isn't necessarily sufficient. The ball needs to be rolled around the bottom to stir up the solids that have fallen out of suspension. You may even be better to shake it upside down for at least part of your agitation.

Probably also due to restrictions on VOCs. Perhaps not completely holding pigments in full suspension. I think as more and more regulations get in our lives we'll see more of this

Back