Digital thermometer issues

Alex James

Hi guys. So I have purchased, within the last year, 2 different digital thermometer units (one is wireless). They are the thermopro TP-17 And the thermopro TP-08S. The issue I'm having is that the 2 units are about 25-30 degrees different from each other. Each probe on the same unit is reading about 2 degrees different (each unit has 2 temp probe ports). But when comparing the readings from the 2 units they're off. I can't figure out what the heck is going on. I tested all 4 probes, switching them back and forth on both units, in boiling water and ice water and they all read perfect, They were identical in readings. But once I got them back into the smoker they were 25-30 degrees off from each other. I made sure they were all exactly the same distance from the grate ( I used sliced potatoes as holders), they were all positioned about 1/2" from each other (to eliminate hot spot concerns). Only thing I can think of is maybe there is an interference digitally between the 2 units maybe.

Any suggestions??

Thanks

Thanks for the number, I Gave them a call. He was stumped as well. Going to send me 2 new probes. He thinks maybe the meat probes are more accurate in meat rather than reading ambient temperature. So they're sending me a new ambient temperature probe also.

While I do not have any experience with this manufacturer... I do have a lifetime experience working with temperature instrumentation. There should be no difference, measurement wise, between the meat and pit probes, in this application.

I have had great interaction with Thermopro, they will do what they can to help. My experience has been that the unit works exactly as advertised. Two years+ with no problems on the original probes, I sent for a replacement set just to have a set of spares on hand. As yet, I’ve not needed to use them.
I’m certain others will have had the opposite experience but, they have been good to me.
Bob is right, temperature is temperature, thermometers read in degrees, they should not care where they are placed.

I agree they were helpful. I'm going to try it those new probes and see what happens. Hopefully it can be squared away

Hi guys. So I have purchased, within the last year, 2 different digital thermometer units (one is wireless). They are the thermopro TP-17 And the thermopro TP-08S. The issue I'm having is that the 2 units are about 25-30 degrees different from each other. Each probe on the same unit is reading about 2 degrees different (each unit has 2 temp probe ports). But when comparing the readings from the 2 units they're off. I can't figure out what the heck is going on. I tested all 4 probes, switching them back and forth on both units, in boiling water and ice water and they all read perfect, They were identical in readings. But once I got them back into the smoker they were 25-30 degrees off from each other. I made sure they were all exactly the same distance from the grate ( I used sliced potatoes as holders), they were all positioned about 1/2" from each other (to eliminate hot spot concerns). Only thing I can think of is maybe there is an interference digitally between the 2 units maybe.

Any suggestions??

Thanks

A person with one probe knows the temperature, a person with two or more probes is forever lost. ;) The fact your probes read the correct temps in ice water and boiling water tells, all is fine. Perfect.

What we can't define or measure is the thermal currents within our smokers/grills. Just placing a probe next to a piece of meat influences the reading due to the evaporation of water in the meat. Way before the digital age, the dial gauge in the lid of the WSM got the job done. What counts is being consistent.

Use the pit probe to guess at the real pit temperature. It will be close enough and use the same pit temp for the same meat. What has a greater value in a successful cook is the meat probe. Experience will dictate when that type of meat is done to your satisfaction. Keep a log and when you find what pit and meat temps works...…………...repeat, repeat, repeat, and enjoy.

Craig,H in La Pine

Hey guys. Happy to report the new ambient temperature probes are within 1 degree of each other almost consistently. Maybe the old probes were too dirty or something. I'm happy this got resolved and big kudos to thermopro for helping me out, no questions asked.

Thanks for the input everyone

Back