Oversize Brisket and 22" WSM

Efrem Pozzati

Hi everyone,
I'm about to smoke an oversized brisket (about 20 pounds) in my 22" WSM.
I'm concerned about its size, because I already reached the limit with a smaller one (about 17 pounds).
I know after 3-4 hours the size will reduce significately, so the question is: is it safe to use a brick to bend it at center?
I would like to avoid to use the oven first, because it the exact timeframe the meat get more smoke.

Thanks in advance,
Efrem.

Harry Soo uses a wood chunk in the same manner you would a brick. I'd go that route over a brick. A brick could theoretically burst if it had an air pocket, although I doubt you get all that hot in the cook chamber. I definitely would not start in the oven. Those first few hours in the smoker are critical.

I've read some threads on here where folks use a rib rack to lay a large brisket over it. Of course, this does not benefit you if you don't have one.

I’d just shoehorn the thing under the handles to begin with, let it “hump up” in the middle it will shrink and be just fine! Every brisket I’ve done has been bigger than is “convenient”. I always seem to need to force fit them. By the time I need to start probing, it’s just lays there looking delicious!

As for the brick, I've done foil wrapped firebrick more than nice and they are designed for heat so, brick explosion would be extremely rare, even normal pavers are fired much higher than your smoker will probably run so, if the brick is going to explode, it would much more likely done so when it was initially fired in the brickyards kiln.
I have spent more time with potters and brick layers than I want to remember and I’ve never heard of a brick exploding.
Do you have data to support the explosion possibility?
A quick search shows that “Face bricks” are fired to between 1000* and 1250*, “Firebricks” fire to 1850*
A brick that made it through the brickyard will survive pretty much anything a grill will offer.
I am not raining on your parade Dustin, just offering more data.

Last edited:
I've done a few 18# on my 18.5" WSM and I had to cram it in tween the handles.
I would think that a 20# would fit no problem on the big boy?

Tim

I've read some threads on here where folks use a rib rack to lay a large brisket over it. Of course, this does not benefit you if you don't have one.

I have a rounded one, this could be a very good idea!

I've done a few 18# on my 18.5" WSM and I had to cram it in tween the handles.
I would think that a 20# would fit no problem on the big boy?

Tim

It should, but the last one I had to squeeze between the grill handles. Tonight I'll start to trim it and I'll have a better idea how to manage it.

I'm going to cook also a whole picnic of the same size, I will be an intresting weekend :D

Back