Birthday BBQ

russ olin

TVWBB Platinum Member
Saturday was the wife's birthday. (She wont let me say how old she is.) I wanted to BBQ something that I have never done before. I had a $50 off deal from Snake River Farms, so we ordered this Snake River Farm rack of pork. Very pretty to look at don't you think?
27xfrL6.jpg

Seasoned the top with Hard Core Red & then used the blades of the meat tenderizer on the top fat cap to drive the seasoning into the meat. Then re-seasoned the whole roast.
ijStUX8.jpg

Meat is on the smoker
Will be using stick wood today. Cherry peach & apple.
RyikGS3.jpg

YXdcZTo.jpg

Used a bottle Guiness Draught Stout Beer mixed with water to keep a little moisture under the roast.
Stick wood burns dry & hot.
3 hours later @ 148 internal temp. Time to pull this bad boy off.
Gonna be guud.
z9f6sm7.jpg

Beautiful all plated up.
aJupnbx.jpg

Pork was fantastic esp around the bones.
Wife had a great birthday meal.
Have half the roast leftover, she is going to throw in into the crock pot today for 5-6 hrs on low, then add Aunt Nellies sweet & sour red cabbage & make dumplings.
Should be a great meal for after the Nascar race this afternoon. Gotta say good bye to old DW.
Thanks for lookin' & keep on BBQ cookin'.

Last edited:
Russ, DW let you get away with calling her "old"? lol Belated Happy Birthday to her.

Oh, by the way, the pork looks very good. But those green beans look even better. Mmmmmm!!!!!!! How did you fix them?

Last edited:
Russ, DW let you get away with calling her "old"? lol Belated Happy Birthday to her.

Oh, by the way, the pork looks very good. But those green beans look even better. Mmmmmm!!!!!!! How did you fix them?

Joan,
Green beans are fixed starting with cooking a few slices of Bobs bacon chunked up, some onion a can of French style cut green beans in a CI skillet. And a few seasonings.
Bobs bacon adds all the flavor that you would want with green beans.
Actually DW is Darrel Waltrip a announcer doing his last Nascar race today. Retireing at age 72 (?).

Happy belated birthday to the misses. Roast looks excellent and the sides are what I would want also.
That slow cooker recipe your wife is going to make sounds great too.

Joan,
Green beans are fixed starting with cooking a few slices of Bobs bacon chunked up, some onion a can of French style cut green beans in a CI skillet. And a few seasonings.
Bobs bacon adds all the flavor that you would want with green beans.
Actually DW is Darrel Waltrip a announcer doing his last Nascar race today. Retireing at age 72 (?).

LOL!!!!! that's funny. Thanks for the bean recipe.

That looks absolutely wonderful Russ. Happy Birthday to your wife. You did the day up right. Great idea using the Needler to get better rub penetration. I agree with Joan about the beans too.

Russ, you nailed that birthday dinner for sure. Outstanding job and the plated pic wonderful. A Happy belated Birthday to your wife.

Happy Birthday to the wife! That is an awesome-looking rack. I'm just a simple rural guy who never gets to see anything like that at the market.

Happy Birthday to the wife! That is an awesome-looking rack. I'm just a simple rural guy who never gets to see anything like that at the market.

How many of you guys read this post and didn't comment? lol (Oh, did you post a picture of your wife?) lol

Dang Russ That looks Goooood! I gotta stop looking at all this good food late at night, makes me hungry every time :p

You did Wonders to this rack of pork Russ!
Looks absolutely Perfect!

And Happy belated Birthday to Mrs. Olin!

Doesn’t look like you’ll take my offer so I’ll make my guess anyway.

She has had ONE birthday, the rest are anniversaries!

This is the wife here, thanks everyone for the nice comments. They are much appreciated.
I had a great birthday. Russ knows how to fix a great BBQ.
Looking forward to many many more. Birthdays & BBQ
Deb & Russ

Hi Deb, how nice of you to do this. Let's hope you do have many, many more of both. Isn't it nice to have hubby's that can cook? lol I also think it would be nice to hear from more wives!!!

Back