Stainless steel rod grates

Bruce

TVWBB 2-Star Olympian
I have a question for some of you who have been grilling seriously much longer than me. For those of you who have used stainless steel rod grates for many years, can you tell me how well they wear? Until I rehabbed my Genesis 1000 and bought RCP grates, I had always used something much inferior and nothing ever lasted very long. My stainless grates after more than a year are obviously dirty, but have no signs of wear. Can a guy with quality SS grates who uses his grill regularly expect them to outlast the grill itself?

Believe me unless the welds break they'll outlast any of us. When they're putting our cold bodies into the dirt condo those grates will be fine

What he said.

I welded up a set of 1/4" SS 304 round bar for my grille a couple of years ago. Even the small weld spatter doesn't break off.

I need to get off my keister and weld up a sear grate for over a charcoal chimney for someone here in town. Great way to finish off sous vide steaks, on a grate that's just starting to glow red.

Keister, everyone is afraid to "say" it. And yes, it is pronounced just the way you think.

"Words have meaning!!!"

"Yeah, well, when you're referring to a specific language..."

Getting back to stainless grates..... I think I'd rather grill on stainless, and definitely over porcelain coated cast iron (coating never lasts.)

I am having a very hard time trying to decide on what to do for the Jr I am
starting to restore. I have considered having rcp make me a set, but I am
leaning toward GrillGrates. I would welcome opinions on either.

I assume you are keeping the Weber Jr. I assume you already have a gas grill or two with regular grates, I think a set of GrillGrates would be a good change of pace.

Dave,
I would agree with those who say that stainless rod grates are the strongest and lowest maintenance choice for grates. That assumes quality ones of which Dave Santana/rcplanebuyer is top drawer.

At the risk of further controversy and cementing my reputation as the “GrillGrates guy” I will say that for the Jr. they may be just the ticket. There have been a number of negative comments about how well the Jr. actually grills. I am assuming they have to do with evenness of heat even though this grill has a double set of Flavorizer bars. Using GrillGrates would definitely reduce that issue in my experience and could potentially make the Jr. a better grill.

The controversial issues have been beaten around enough. You can look through some old threads on that if you want a refresher.

GrillGrates are quoting $150 for the Jr. WOW!!!
Dave Santana will be similar when freight is added.

What other options do I have? I don't see the Jr model number as an
option w/Qilmetal unless I am overlooking it.

Dave,

I doubt you will find anyone making grates specifically for the Jr. What exact size are they? I wouldn't be surprised if you couldn't easily cut down a set of regular Genesis grates to fit. If so, a set of Qlimetal or Hongso or BBQParts.com grates might make a less expensive way to get there. As to recplanebuyer, I think he may have already helped some others with Jr. grates, so hopefully he has his jig, etc. ready. Otherwise, the price is a LOT higher for a custom set that he has to set up for.

GrillGrates aren't cheap, but that does seem really high for a smaller grill. I didn't pay that much for my 3-burner Genesis set. Did you look at the option where you just pick the length pieces you need? Also, like Thermoworks, GrillGrates are pretty good for their periodic sales. If you do choose that route, I would just wait them out.

Hey Dave I’ve seen the porcelain stamped grates for the JR. on appliancefactoryparts.com. I have a JR. in waiting and remember seeing them. No SS bars though, you’ll have to cut something else up as Jon noted.

I would look again at GrillGrates. Based on the dimensions shown on applianceparts.com that Tony references it looks to me like a three panel set could be had for less than $100 not on sale. I really feel these would be big help to the deficiencies often cited about the Jr.

TonyS this one came with a fairly decent set of porcelain stamped grates. I am looking for something
better. I plan to keep this one and cook with it. I also plan to use it as a restoration showpiece for my
grill rehab business and the Genesis Club.

Jon, I have heard are read many good things about GG's over the years, and would prefer to go with them.
I really like how you can flip them over, and use the flat side sort of like a griddle to make smash burgers.
I was not aware until just recently that you had to piece them together. I called the 800 # and spoke with
them to make sure I was pricing out the right way. I was told I would need a 2-panel set, plus two gap panels.
He then said it would be $135 and change, and $15 for shipping. However, when I look at their website, the
math does not compute. I will be making another phone call today and see what the deal is.

GrillGrates are quoting $150 for the Jr. WOW!!!
Dave Santana will be similar when freight is added.

What other options do I have? I don't see the Jr model number as an
option w/Qilmetal unless I am overlooking it.

Dave,
Just do with I did on my Junior, purchase a set of full size 1000-5000 stainless grates (Quilmetal #7639 in my case), and cut 2 1/2" inches off the width of each grate to fit.The depth is the same.

https://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?75451-Found-my-unfindable-a-Weber-Junior-Jr/page9

Jeff

Last edited:
Thanks, Jeff. I have considered going that route if need be. WOW - Quilmetal grates have damn near doubled in price.

Back