Rust-oleum Rust Reformer

Richard in NS

TVWBB Wizard
Has anyone ever tried this and does it work? I cannot get Eastwood here but can get POR 15. Just wondered about this product.
Thanks, Richard.

x3GOZko.jpg

RIchard, I started using that stuff this year myself. I have two cans of it and used up another already. It probably isn't what the Eastwoods is, and it won't harden up into a ceramic like finish, but I find that it seems to do a good job of covering any surface rust or bare steel much like a primer. I can't say how it holds up over a couple years, but I am happy with it and will continue using it.

Thanks Bruce. I might give it a try on the lighter rusted areas. I have used POR 15 before on my vehicles and assume it is more like Eastwood’s. I hope LMichaels replies as I think he has used both POR15 and Eastwood’s and can give me a comparison. Or anyone else that has used any of these. I am preparing for my first gasser restore.

I've used the POR15 products on my fifth wheel frame. As all I have is the brush on type I did not use it on my recent grill renovation. Too bad, cause from the results on see on the trailer it works great. I used Rust Reformer on the rusty wire shelf of the grill, but as it was only a week ago I can't say if it'll hold years down the road like the POR15 has.

It's just "OK" at best. Nowhere near the league POR15 or Eastwood's products are. Eastwood ships all over so unsure why you cannot get it though.

Thanks LMichaels - I can get it, but shipping to Canada, exchange on the dollar and duty brings it to about $45 a can Canadian dollars which is beyond what I am willing to pay. I will use the brush on POR 15 on the outside of the frame, spray the Rust-oleum inside and hope for the best.

Sorry I didn't see the place you're from. Yeah some things trying to get them in CA is not cheap.

Thanks LMichaels - I can get it, but shipping to Canada, exchange on the dollar and duty brings it to about $45 a can Canadian dollars which is beyond what I am willing to pay. I will use the brush on POR 15 on the outside of the frame, spray the Rust-oleum inside and hope for the best.

This might be another choice they sell it on Amazon, I had brought this up awhile ago and Jeff uses it. I am almost out of Eastwood will probably give this a shot on the 1100 I am doing.

https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B002NUABUO/tvwb-20

Brian, that is some interesting stuff: Looks like it is closer to the Eastwood stuff. I noticed this posed question on the Amazon listing which addresses our question directly:
--------------------------------
Question: How does the VHT Rust Converter compares to the Rustoleum Rust Reformer? Thx.
Answer: This is an interesting question. I tried both...side by side on the same area on heavily rusted and pitted farm equipment 1/4" steel. There was absolutely no comparison, the VHT worked the Rustoleum did NOT. I like other Rustoleum products but their rust converter just doesn't cut it. VHT rust converter is outstanding. However, I was looking at the one star reviews and was wondering what those folks did differently than what I did? Some claim the VHT doesn't work. Something must be different! The only thing I can imagine is that they used it differently and there are two possibilities here. To start with, my problem was about the worst case scenario I can imagine. Deep, 1/16" rust pits that even a SS wire wheel can't get into. This is where a little common sense goes a long way. After wire brushing the best I could, there was still a substantial amount of rust down in those deep rust pits. So, rather the follow the directions on the can (couple of light coats)...which would never saturate the relatively thick rust in the bottom of those pits, I started with a first heavy coat...heavy enough to saturate the rust in the bottom of those rust pits. All the rust pits turned black while the freshly wire brushed steel surface remained clear. Then, I sanded the surface and applied another light coat of VHT rust converter. Then I covered that with self-etching primer. THAT works great and you are now ready for painting. Excellent bonding and no more rust!
Incidentally, I ran a number of tests over a period of several months, exposing the surface at various stages to water and time. The process I just described worked best. Be sure to follow the instructions regarding timing. These self-reacting materials must be applied within minutes to insure the layers bond together well.
So, to answer my own question...in some cases the user may not have applied enough on the FIRST coat to saturate the rust. In another scenario, perhaps they didn't follow the instructions on timing. Just my guessing as to what they might have done wrong. see less
By Rick Glackin on January 3, 2015
-----------------------------
But check all the questions/answers on the listing. Others seem to have different opinions.

Many Thanks Everyone! Lots of Great information. I just looked up the VHT rust converter on Amazon Canada and it is $49.97 so still too much. I will look for it locally though. I am going to Rhode Island in August to visit the in-laws so maybe I can order it in the USA and have it shipped there. Just did not want to wait that long.

Looks like it might be a product worth trying. Especially (though I didn't see it) if you could get a wand to spray it into blind areas

No it does not have a wand which would be nice but on the last couple of frames I did just shot in the frame openings it goes pretty far even doing that. On the C I did took that frame completely apart so hit it from both ends on the shorter pieces not really worried about it think it will be fine.

Eastwood over VHT in my book

Interesting thread. First I have to be up front and say I am an accountant who from this grill hobby is slowly learning about tools I never used before and about spray painting. I hate spray painting.

I have used the VHT product mentioned here. I don’t doubt it converts rust, but not so thrilled with how it works or the multi-step process suggested involving more spray paint. I hate to spray paint.

The Eastwood encapsulater completely covers the rusted (or any) area and then hardens into a ceramic finish that is very tough. This is a big deal because at least in my limited experience rust is often bad on flimsy thin flange pieces such as cabinetry side panel edges and frame tube bottoms. Rust encapsulater won’t replace your missing metal but it will make what is left much stronger and I believe more rust resistant.

After the encapsulater cures it readily accepts a finish coat, hopefully meaning less spray painting. Did I mention that I hate to spray paint?

If you are coming to the US, I would recommend getting the Eastwood rust encapsulater delivered or better yet if there is a store that carries it near enough maybe you could load up and get through the border with a big supply of it:eek:!

Bruce yes the reviews are really good.

Richard do they not sell VHT paints in Canada would think you might be able to find it at one of the automotive stores? Jeez 49 bucks is highway robbery.

Brian, yes they sell VHT here so I will look locally but the Amazon price was nuts. Will look into having Eastwood’s shipped to the in-laws for August. I was just excited to get started now. Hopefully I can find the VHT here. Thanks again Folks! 😀

Geez, remind me to not move to Canada. It is $44 for six cans here in the US on Amazon.

Back