I think this should work

George Si

TVWBB Super Fan
Hi, I don't know how accurate the weber thermometers are for the Silver B. I tried yesterday and it moved on and off not the same temp as ThermPro TP-08S. So I thought to put the probe through the thermometer slot. The hole is just slightly bigger, but I don't think that should make a difference. What do you guys think? Thanks George

WTzVW5p.jpg

It works fine. I tried it once but two things. First and worst I forgot the whole probe would get HOT and grabbed it to take it out. I said bad words. Lots of them. Second I found this is not an oven and regardless of what kind of thermometer you throw in it it's a grill first and foremost and precision cooking is not in the mix. So the regular one in the grill is fine as all you need is a "representation" treating it as a low/med/max instrument and forget about whether it indicates 300 or 400.

Great words of Wisdom....thank you. Will try to use the Weber one but I think it is original..But will be interesting experiment to try both at different times in the same slot to see how much discrepancy/
BTW Trying the Rotisserie with boneless leg of lamb. Not my fav, but wife enjoys..Will try front/back burner combo, and if too hot just the front. thanks, again. George

I have a Thermoworks Smoke remote thermometer. It has a probe for the meat and one for measuring the temp at grate (food) level. I had it in my grill two days ago when I did my rotisserie chicken and it measured about 50-60 degrees hotter than the lid thermometer. I use the lid thermometer just for general indications of the inside temp, but if you want to do measured low and slow cooking, you might want to consider some kind of remote thermometer. Otherwise, you are just guessing.

This ThermPro also has 2 probes one for inside the meat and one for oven temp I guess it should be more accurate than the Weber therm. The nice thing about this one is you have a remote that syncs and I can check temp when I am upstairs away from the grill probe.

When I'm cooking something long and slow I just stick a thermometer like yours in next to the meat somehow, the grill is pretty good and I can get it to +-5c of my target temperature for hours. Works well.

Bob, that is correct. Way over to one side, next to the end cap is probably not a good place to measure internal heat in the grills. I suppose that is why they moved the thermometers to the middle of the front of the lids, but even then, it is likely off by quite a bit compared to what the temp is at grate level where the food is.

The ThermPro does have an attachment that you can put on the grates and have the probe pointing up. I guess that would be a more accurate reading. When I tried the Weber thermometer in the slot and then the ThermPro in the holder, there was no comparison. The Weber didn't even get up to the Test Point, so I think it is defective.

I have a Thermoworks Smoke remote thermometer. It has a probe for the meat and one for measuring the temp at grate (food) level. I had it in my grill two days ago when I did my rotisserie chicken and it measured about 50-60 degrees hotter than the lid thermometer. I use the lid thermometer just for general indications of the inside temp, but if you want to do measured low and slow cooking, you might want to consider some kind of remote thermometer. Otherwise, you are just guessing.

That sounds about right, in my smoker I have a 12" therm mounted directly under the grate ends up about in the middle of the barrel. I also have one mounted about 7" maybe less above that which was under another grate in case I ever needed to cook on 2 levels and basically I never used that top grate took it out. The bottom therm reads about 55 degrees hotter than the top one.

Lots of things going on though one is directly under what you are cooking the other is above also more like a 4" stem as compared to a 12" stem also use a Maverick wireless when smoking simple to keep an eye on the smoker temp when inside watching football or something. That also reads a different temp in the end I don't think it matters I use the bottom therm as my base temp and I know what the difference in the other 2 are. I know if the bottom therm is running at 250 - 275 that will get my ribs to what they need to be in x number of hours on a consistent basis.

On the Silver C and 1000 doing rib-eyes I use the Weber therm and nothing else usually at about 450 gets me where I need to be which is 4 minutes on one side and 3 minutes on the other we like ours slightly rare. I use my Thermapen at the end to make sure they are at the temp I want less 5 degrees since they will cook a bit more when pulled. On the performer did chicken wings last night again I only use the Weber therm at 350, cook them an hour pull sauce another 15 minutes pull sauce again another 15 minutes. They come out perfect every time.

Really if you learn your grill and are consistent you will get good results. I am always one to check meat early with the Thermapen better to have to leave them cooking a bit more than overcooked especially in my house since my wife and daughter are a tough crowd. Over cook that ribeye and you will here about it. :)

It looks like you've got it in a good place, but just be careful you don't let the probe wander and touch the fire box, lid, etc. They can read up to really high air temps no problem, but you run the risk of throwing it off or ruining it if it's sitting on a 600' side wall.

Back