Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Stainless Steel Cooking grates for the Q grills

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce View Post
    Yah, but if they work good and are sturdy enough, they would basically be lifetime grates. Q grills seem to eat CI grates.
    Yeah, but I am not very convinced by that design. If it were possible to mold stainless steel in the shape of the original cast iron, that would really be something. Since that doesn't seem to be on the horizon, here's a post from a while back by Tom Bauer where he decided to go with GrillGrates on his Q. Love them or hate them, if you put a set of these on top of an old rusted cast iron grate (as a platform) you would also have something that would last a lifetime and also is certainly sturdy - especially in this configuration.

https://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?744...ates-on-a-Q200
    Genesis Platinum Skyline 3200 CharQ,Q2200"Flat-top" 26 Kettle Red,Black 22 1Touch Platinum, Black '74 18, SJ. 2 many projects!

Jon, how would those things be for cleaning? Wouldn't they slide around when trying to brush or scrape them?
    Some people rescue dogs and cats. I rescue Webers.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce View Post
    Jon, how would those things be for cleaning? Wouldn't they slide around when trying to brush or scrape them?
    I haven't used them in a Q, so I can't say for certain. Looking at Tom's picture it does look like they are pretty secure. Basic cleaning mean just scraping the tops of the rails. Those wooden paddle scrapers are perfect for that. To clean in between the rails, you can use the multi-pronged tool they provide or get fancier and buy their "valley brush." You just scrape the stuff pushing it to the back. If you do a burn off now and then, that will take care of them for a long time. However, they are light weight and easy to remove. Then just wash in soap and water in a bucket.
    Genesis Platinum Skyline 3200 CharQ,Q2200"Flat-top" 26 Kettle Red,Black 22 1Touch Platinum, Black '74 18, SJ. 2 many projects!

I have used GrillGrates on my Q for the last 2 months or so. (about 10 cooks)
    They work great, and I am pleased. I ordered this set specifically for my 2000/3000.
    I just take 2 panels and they fit nicely on the Q300. They would slide around if
    I were to try to brush them hard, but so far there has not been any cleaning needed.
    I spray them prior to using, and nothing sticks. Steaks cooked on the ridge sides,
    and smash burgers on the flat side.
    E330 1997 Genesis 1000 Blue Performer wsm22 :wsm18: :wsm14: 1983 Red Head Chiefs NFL Edition

Yes, the two sides do give versatility. I agree that with some grill Crisco or other oil they don’t stick and do give very even results. Certainly a viable solution for rusty Q grates.

Just saw this...

https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/A...52ZVW6/tvwb-20

This one looks more like a traditional grate than the ones that are more "griddle" type. Made of 304 ss but what do you guys think of the spacing of the rods?
    22" Kettle Premium | 26" Kettle Premium | '00-'01 Genesis Platinum C, 13 bar (Budweiser) | '05 Genesis Platinum C (open cart) | Q1200

Those are interesting. I wonder how they would be to clean though.

They also have versions for the Q2xxx and Q3xxx as well for very reasonable prices.

Look at that spacing though. You could drive a Buick between those bars otherwise I would be all over something like that

Yah, and then you have that. The gap between the bars. But, what about the kettle grills, wouldn't their spacing be similar.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12