Thread: Stainless Steel Cooking grates for the Q grills

Stainless Steel Cooking grates for the Q grills

Has anyone purchased and used these types of cooking grates for their Q grill? I am wondering how well they work and if they are sturdy enough to keep from bending.

https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/A...JD5XY4/tvwb-20
    Some people rescue dogs and cats. I rescue Webers.

I have been thinking about getting similar for the 320 but it has not progressed beyond "thinking"

Yah, they just seem to be almost no brainers if they are sturdy. Easy to clean and they won't corrode. That is the one issue I have with Q grills is that the grates are not easy to clean and the inevitably wind up rusting, flaking and chipping. If these SS grates would work good, a guy would have a nearly bullet proof grill that would perform well with just need a simple cleaning every so often.
    Some people rescue dogs and cats. I rescue Webers.

I can sure see the advantages of stainless, but I guess that design doesn't really appeal to me. Too much flat area your food is directly laying on - almost like a griddle.

I am a cast iron fan, but agree that the some Q grates don't hold up as well. I don't know if it is another product that has gone downhill, but I can say that the grates on my 11 year old CharQ look almost perfect, and the ones that came with my first rather old Q200 were also amazing. On some of the new Qs it seems the coating is almost like thick paint that has dried but not really adhered - just begging to chip off. Maybe that isn't fair, but it just looks that way. I am avoiding hard brushes as much as possible and trying to use replaceable (or Dollar store throwaway) soft type scrubber pads on my current Q to extend the life of the grates.
    Genesis Platinum Skyline 3200 Q1200"Flat-top" 26 Kettle Red,Black 22s 1Touch Platinum, Black '74 18, JJ & SJ. Projects: Genesis 4, 2 many!

TVWBB Pro
    I debated over buying a new grate for my Q300, but instead ordered GrillGrates to fit over the Q grates when there was a sale and haven’t looked back since. I was poo-pooed by people that don’t have them but I have forged on with them and enjoyed their use. Last nite I seared a nice thick ribeye on the flat side by turning it every couple of minutes til it reached 130* seasoned with just coarse sea salt, mmmmm good!! with crash potatoes and a green salad. They even out the heat well and work with anything that you cook on the original grates. Bonus is that I can adapt them for the Q220, and my 22” kettle and use either side of the grates to cook with. They will probably outlast the Q’s they are so durable. There must be a couple of others that are using them on this forum with the same results that I get!!
    tom bauer
    WSM 14.5,18.5, CB22.5, SJSilver, Q220, Q300, Q320, 18.5, 22.5, Kettle

Tom,
    I have had great experience with GrillGrates and have a set that replaces the regular grates for the Genesis grill. It produces hard to beat results as far as grill marks go (if you like that like I do). They also help even out temperatures and do reduce flare-ups.

I also have a set that came with my used Rec Tec pellet grill where they help this type of grill deliver at least some higher heat and sear effect. I used them last night to grill chicken strips fairly successfully which is not a pellet grill’s strong point.

I have never used GrillGrates on a Q because the three Q’s I have owned and grilled on all still had perfectly good cast iron. However, I could see them working very well to put on top of a worn-out set of Q grates. They should last a long, long time and all the original grates would have to do is hold them up and continue to channel grease away from the burners like they were designed to do.

Critics have concerns about grilling with aluminum which I think cannot be either proven or ruled out. I am not convinced enough to get rid of mine. I don’t at all agree, however, with the assessments that they don’t produce real grilling results, are too expensive or that they are flimsy and won’t last.
    Last edited by Jon Tofte; 06-23-2019 at 02:48 PM.
    Genesis Platinum Skyline 3200 Q1200"Flat-top" 26 Kettle Red,Black 22s 1Touch Platinum, Black '74 18, JJ & SJ. Projects: Genesis 4, 2 many!

TVWBB Fan
    I have a huge,thick commercial oven pan I was trying to get laser cut and that Amazon grill is what I was looking to create. I do have Grill Grates for my Jumbo Joe and it will fit on my Q220, but doesn't cover all the space. I too recommend to get Grill Grates as it evens out the heat and keeps flares down.
    Cherish the day, that's why it's called " present ".
    Jumbo Joe, Q220, Akorn Char-Griller