Hard to believe all the older grills you guys are finding.

Rich Dahl

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
I've been amazed at all the rehab grills you guys are finding.
There hasn't been a X000 grill up here in over 1 1/2 years, my last two grills I picked up were the Skyline and Gen 2 both from Phoenix which is a 200+ mile RT. The Skyline a little over a year ago and the gen 2 about 6-7 months ago. Hasn't been squat since.
I sure thought that when these guys started selling their discounted new Weber's, which there still is a boat load of them in Phoenix on CL the market would be flooded with used Weber's great for flipping. Nothing!

They are rare in my area as well. Where I live it is probably because most suburban neighborhoods just did not exist in the 80 or even 90s.

It is all about living near a metropolitan center. I live 50 miles from a city of any real size and 80% of my grills come from that city and surrounding communities.

There's absolutely tons of (overpriced) Silver Bs and Cs here in Chicagoland on Craigslist, but very few x000s. Seems like I saw a lot more last summer, though it's early and the Father's Day replacements probably haven't been listed yet. All the rain here isn't helping either - I'm sure I'm not the only one that feels like summer hasn't even started yet, so I'm sure that's keeping the more casual grillers inside (and thus not buying new/selling old).

I assume the x000s will "age out" here at some point right? Given that the newest of those is still 20 years old, most have probably already been junked by now. I would guess they'll be getting harder and harder to find each year.

DaveF: You are right, the 1000-5000 grills will become unicorns in the not to distant future. Not only will they become harder to find, but the price and availability of replacement parts will become an issue as well. I am still toying with the idea of redoing the Stainless Steel platinum that I picked up and keeping it for my 3 burner grill. But, if I do, I will have to give up my Genesis 1000. I just don't have the room or need for two three burner grills. I know with the SS frame on the Platinum, I will have that grill for many, many more years and the parts should still be available and reasonably priced for quite some time. As I say this, I am fixing to put a yard bird on the 1000 rotisserie. This is where that grill really excels.

It is all about living near a metropolitan center. I live 50 miles from a city of any real size and 80% of my grills come from that city and surrounding communities.

I do too. But our metropolitan is just too new. Around 50+% of the suburbs in the DFW area did not exist 20+ years ago.
I live in a suburb north of Dallas. We now have a population of close to 300K. In 1990 it was around 130K. And in 1980 only about 70K. Same with all the other cities surrounding Dallas.
I see tons of Genesis B/C, Genesis 300 and anything newer but hardly anything older. Same with vintage kettles. When all these now vintage grills were on the market back then, there was no one living here who could by them.

What you guys are saying makes a lot of sense. I just couldn't understand the sudden drop off, but maybe the fact that the latest X000 are 20 years old and owners who still had them figured no one would want them and to the scrap heap they went.

I am still seeing some x000 grills and plenty of Silver/Gold/and occasional stainless Platinums throughout the lower 2/3 of Florida. Closest to home, not quite so many, but I live in area that doesn't have as many older homes which is where I usually find older Webers:eek:. I do think you are going to see a fall off over the next few years as the last x000 (and certainly earlier 1-5) Genesis grills are disposed. I am also afraid it is going to start getting harder to find all the parts you need to restore them.

There are zillions of both sidewinder and 2nd generation 300 Genesis grills for sale all around me. Most have rusted out cabinets and are over-priced. And you can take your pick of any model of Spirit grills at all kinds of prices without rhyme or reason.

I am just waiting to see how long it is before cheap Genesis II grills start popping up. Missed a couple of not bad opportunities, but I don't need to dabble in that right now. I plan to wait for the first 2019 model with a sear burner and open cart that comes available used and for a low price.

Last edited:
I've been trying to come up with a 2007-2010 Genesis sidewinder to take apart and store for parts. I've got my NG E-320 and my son's LP E-320 to maintain. Both are 2007's and rust free for now. Somehow, I get the feeling his is going to need some TLC pretty quickly since his focus besides being a pharmacist is his 400 gal. salt water fish tank and wrangling two teenagers. I've got outside Rubbermaid horizontal storage units that can handle a torn down grill. Not much pickings here in LV either. Only a couple of Silvers and Spirits. Plenty of the front control Webers kicking around some still in the box.

Dan if you need any parts off a 2007-2010 that can be shipped reasonably, let me know. I have a parts grill that needs to go, but I don't want to just junk perfectly good parts.

Anything with wood is a rarity in Oklahoma. And it seems like people want $100 for a trashed out B or C.

What I would like to find here is any kind of redhead, or blue, or whatever. They are nowhere to be found here, I've seen maybe 2 or 3 in the last seven years. Like others, lots of sidewinders and later.

Anything with wood is a rarity in Oklahoma. And it seems like people want $100 for a trashed out B or C.

What I would like to find here is any kind of redhead, or blue, or whatever. They are nowhere to be found here, I've seen maybe 2 or 3 in the last seven years. Like others, lots of sidewinders and later.
Ralph where in OK are you located? I am in north Texas DFW and have 3 red heads sitting in my driveway. Also two green lids and one maroon lid. And by the way you aren’t German by chance?

I'm near Ok City. Save me one, I'll be down there sometime!

I would guess some german ancestry, but don't know any details. My grandfather was born in Kansas in 1892 as "Wilhelm" but went by William by the time I was around.

Back