Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Do you use a Food Saver ?

TVWBB Diamond Member Len Dennis's Avatar
    Considered it but up here larger bags are almost $30 for 32 bags. Too much for something to throw away after one use.
    So many recipes, so little time
    : Genesis gas grill 18.5" WSM Maverick ET-732 :

I don't know how and why, but when I cook Japanese rice in my modern cooker (one from here: https://cozyhousetoday.com/best-japa...ooker-reviews/), I can leave it for 5+ hours after I cooked it, and it still will be as newly cooked. Of course, if it will be closed. So it works kinda food saver, and the taste is delicious as hell.

I've had one for many years, don't use it very often, so I'll let others comment on brands, durability, etc.
    There are rolls available that would probably accommodate baby backs, not sure about the wider spares.
    For whole slabs, of either type, I wrap in plastic wrap then in heavy, coated butcher paper.
    It seems like you've been doing in cooking field of business ... for years.

Quote Originally Posted by Len Dennis View Post
    Considered it but up here larger bags are almost $30 for 32 bags. Too much for something to throw away after one use.
    While not bags, I've been buying generic rolls from Amazon for over 3 years. Two 50' rolls 11" wide for less than $20.

TVWBB Member
    Anyone have experience with Geryon? I've been trying to convince the other half that a vaccuum sealer would actually be an addition to the kitchen and not a nuisance, and these seem well reviewed and in the right budget range.

If not, anything in general for vaccuum sealers I should avoid, since I've never owned one?

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian Cliff Bartlett's Avatar
    We bought ours six years ago, V4880, at Costco. We love it and have not had any problems whatsoever. We too order the generic bags through Amazon. I recently froze two racks of spares but they had been St. Louis trimmed. Don't think untrimmed spares would fit.
    Weber OTG 26.3/4" Kettle, Weber Silver 22 1/2 " Kettle (2), Blue Performer, Jumbo Joe, Smokey Joe (49er Edition), WSM 22 1/2 ", WSM 18 1/2, WSM 14 1/2"

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian Rich Dahl's Avatar
    We bought a FS Gm 700 which is called the Game Saver. It's a heavy duty continuous use model. I can and have done 50 bags in a row without having to wait for it to cool down every 5-6 bags like our old one. It also comes with a 12 volt adapter for field use. I bought direct from FS with a sale price of under $100.
    We've had it for over two years and I am extremely happy with it.
    We get our rolls 6"and 11" from eBay, I just shop for the lowest buy it now price for 50' rolls. I've been able to beat Amazon every time even with my Prime acct.
    "Rescuing just one dog won't change the world, but it surely will change the world for that one dog."

TVWBB Platinum Member Dustin Dorsey's Avatar
    I've got just the basic food saver model and I've had it a few years. . Never had any trouble. I don't use the hell out of it or anything.
    22.5 WSM, 22.5 OTS, Smokey Joe, Genesis 1000, Slow N Sear 2.0, Smokenator 1000, Old Country Pecos, Thermapen, Smoke, Maverick ET-732, Igrill 2

Yes.

Useful for freezing leftovers (my mom reheats in a pan of water and pours it over rice). Useful for Sous Vide (rolls from Amazon are within reason, baggie/water displacement too much work for me). I buy a whole rib eye, age it, cut it up and freeze dinner portions.

Russell
    Russell
    If you're not on somebody's *hit list, you're not doing anything worthwhile

TVWBB Fan
    Ours is a V4420 food saver and would buy the same again if needed,just looked and bought it nov of 2015, receipt is taped on the back of it so have almost a 1-1/2 of warranty left

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast