Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Do you use a Food Saver ?

I'm happy with mine (V3485) and have had it several years now. I don't use it a ton, but between general freezing and sous vide, it probably gets used lightly a couple times a month. Then a few times a year when I do pulled pork and bacon it sees a bit more volume. I buy the rolls and like them much better than the pre-sized bags. Granted, you have to seal both ends, but they are much cheaper. Just yesterday, I threw a half rack of uncooked beef back ribs into one and sealed it up. No issues at all.
    ; ; ;

Yes, I do use my FS regularly. It's been very reliable. My only complaint with this model (one of the upright, automatic sealing ones) is that it wastes too much of the bag....

I bought a refurbished one at Ollie’s several years ago. It worked ok for about 6 months, then it wouldn’t seal any more.
    We bought a Ziplock brand one from Wally World 2-3 years ago. Haven’t had a bit of problems with it.
    We use the Great Value brand roll bags with great success.
    They might make larger bags that’d fit some spare ribs.
    Proud veteran of the US Army!

I've decided to give Food Saver another chance, just gotta decide which model to buy. I'll probably get the $80 model.
    2002 18" WSM , 1999 22 Kettle , 1983 Smokey Joe , 2019 26" Kettle , 2016 Spirit 3 Gasser , Old Country Brazos offset smoker

TVWBB Fan Michelle in New Orleans's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lynn Dollar View Post
    I've decided to give Food Saver another chance, just gotta decide which model to buy. I'll probably get the $80 model.
    We got one about three years ago, Lynn, when they came out with a "vertical" model that I could keep on the counter. I knew we'd never use it if we had to haul it out every time we wanted to use it. Wish I'd have gotten it years before (Model No. V3425), as we use it all the time. We got several add-on attachments for this machine so I can seal canning jars (regular and wide mouth) and I also got the attachment so I can use the vacuum zipper quart bags to house deli-sliced meat. I seal it when it comes from the store and then check every day or so to re-seal it using the machine after my husband has simply sealed it like a zippered bag. Keeps the sliced meat and cheese we buy fresh for a lot longer.

There's a type of roll you can buy called FoodSaver 11" x 16' Expandable Vacuum Seal Rolls, 2 Pack, which will accommodate really big things, and would easily handle a rack of ribs. You have to cut it a bit larger than your rack is but the roll has "flaps" which expand -- in other words you have to put about a 5-inch lead on the bag so you can fold the edge of your "bag" from the roll properly (back to it's original position before filling) to slide into the Food Saver. You can fit a decent size turkey in here, and we also covered and sealed an entire FILLED casserole dish and stuck it in the freezer. These bags aren't cheap but then we don't need to use them very often.

Also like the DAM Vacuum-Seal Bags with liquid blocking strip -- I use these bags when sealing things that are kind of wet; the little dam paper strip that is built into the bag keeps liquid from going into your machine.

Lots of tips on how to repair or "tune up" these machines are now on YouTube. (I like the ones from users instead of the ones from FoodSaver.)

You can also buy a little rack to slip on the back of this model to hold several different sizes of bags -- very convenient so I don't have to head to the pantry to get the right size bag every time I want to use it.

Hope this helps!
    Last edited by Michelle in New Orleans; 06-26-2019 at 02:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Michelle in New Orleans View Post
    There's a type of roll you can buy called FoodSaver 11" x 16' Expandable Vacuum Seal Rolls, 2 Pack, which will accommodate really big things...
    Wow, those are cool. I get it, the sides are pleated to allow for greater thickness.

https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/A...51QSDO/tvwb-20

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Allingham View Post
    Wow, those are cool. I get it, the sides are pleated to allow for greater thickness.

https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/A...51QSDO/tvwb-20
    I was always picked last when attempting to play backyard sports, and I had no better coordination when trying to use these pleated bags. Even allowing lots of extra space I had a heck of a time getting a seal at the pleats. The concept is great, and if they work well for you folks then I am happy for you

TVWBB Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by BFletcher View Post
    Even allowing lots of extra space I had a heck of a time getting a seal at the pleats. The concept is great, and if they work well for you folks then I am happy for you
    That is what would concern me with pleated bags, getting a seal at the pleats. I'd bet that the heat would have to be cranked up, and I'd be worried about holes in the seams where there's only a single layer.

TVWBB Super Fan
    We got the V4880 from Costco about 4 years ago (I think) and it died about 4 months ago. We decided to try another brand so we got the Nesco VS-12 model. It's been working great. The nice thing about it is that when you want to seal one end of the bag, instead of having to slide it into the narrow slot like you have to do with FoodSaver, you just open the top, place the end of the bag on top of the sealer, close and lock the top and press manual seal. That's it. It also has a countdown timer deal too. Pretty slick.

We just buy the generic bag rolls from Amazon and they work fine.
    Genesis EP-320 - steel gray (2010 model), Chargriller Super Pro, 22.5 OTG, 2014 Performer (Copper), 2014 Jumbo Joe, Smokey Joe, Masterbuilt Pro duel fuel smoker, 18.5" WSM

TVWBB Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Len Dennis View Post
    Considered it but up here larger bags are almost $30 for 32 bags. Too much for something to throw away after one use.
    Couldn't you re-use the bags if desired? I never had a food saver but knew a friend with one. They would cut their bags on the long side so it could be reused multiple times. Maybe this is not possible to do for stew/sauce but for steaks, you could hand wash the bags, dry, and then reuse?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast