Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Do you use a Food Saver ?

TVWBB Hall of Fame Dwain Pannell's Avatar
    We’ve had a Food Saver for years. The rolls we buy are plenty wide enough for spare ribs, roasts, Butts, etc.

TVWBB Fan
    Ive been wanting a foodsaver for many years but never got one, Im getting ready to buy one because most of the time I end up throwing away left over bbq like pulled pork or brisket...there is no way my girlfriend and I can eat everything I smoke so will be giving packages away to friends or storing it in freezer from now on.
    18 WSM <>JUMBO JOE <>PERFORMER 22-1/2

TVWBB Super Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidMichael View Post
    Ive been wanting a foodsaver for many years but never got one, Im getting ready to buy one because most of the time I end up throwing away left over bbq like pulled pork or brisket...there is no way my girlfriend and I can eat everything I smoke so will be giving packages away to friends or storing it in freezer from now on.

Doesnt matter what I cook , I cook extra and I freeze it.

On the smoker couple extra racks of ribs at a time. Never less than three racks for just me and my wife. In fact my wife is working late tonight, so that's what I ate for dinner was about a third of a rack of ribs from the freezer. Just cut the bag open and microwave for a few minutes and voila.

Of course brisket and pork butt make plenty to freeze

Bacon... About 10-11 lbs at a time (Whole pork belly)

Things like gumbo, shrimp creole, red beans, etouffee, etc.....i use a 16-25 quart pot, and freeze a bunch of those little disposable plastic containers from the grocery store.
    Always at hand heat up just cook some rice, my daughter tends to take a bunch of containers back to grad school with her and stocker her freezer as well.

My wife makes huge batches of spaghetti sauce and meatballs, freezes it in the little plastic containers as well.

If you got to go through the trouble of cooking something, especially something that takes a lot of time, make a bunch and freeze it. Of course I got a pretty big freezer. Used to need that for deer meat, but I havent been doing much of that in the last 15 years

And of course, vacuum sealing and freezing bulk meat buys works great too. The meat doesn't get freezer burned and will keep a long time
    Last edited by MartinB; 07-02-2019 at 05:49 PM.

TVWBB Super Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidMichael View Post

Does it matter what I cook , I cook extra and I freeze it.

On the smoker couple extra racks of ribs at a time. Never less than three racks for just me and my wife.

Bacon... About 10-11 lbs at a time 10 or 11 pounds at a time (Whole pork belly)

Things like gumbo, shrimp creole, red beans, etouffee, etc.....i use a 16-25 quart pot, and freeze a bunch of those little disposable plastic containers from the grocery store.
    Always at hand heat up just cook some rice, my daughter tends to take a bunch of containers back to grad school with her and stocker her freezer as well.

My wife makes huge batches of spaghetti sauce and meatballs, freezes it in the little plastic containers as well.

If you got to go through the trouble of cooking something, especially something that takes a lot of time, make a bunch and freeze it. So yeah, I use the heck out of my vacuum sealer. Plastic bags turn out to be more expensive than you would think.....

TVWBB Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by MartinB View Post
    Doesnt matter what I cook , I cook extra and I freeze it.

On the smoker couple extra racks of ribs at a time. Never less than three racks for just me and my wife. In fact my wife is working late tonight, so that's what I ate for dinner was about a third of a rack of ribs from the freezer. Just cut the bag open and microwave for a few minutes and voila.

Bacon... About 10-11 lbs at a time (Whole pork belly)

If you got to go through the trouble of cooking something, especially something that takes a lot of time, make a bunch and freeze it. Of course I got a pretty big freezer. Used to need that for deer meat, but I havent been doing much of that in the last 15 years

And of course, vacuum sealing and freezing bulk meat buys works great too. The meat doesn't get freezer burned and will keep a long time
    sounds like a good strategy, what triggered me to getting one is the local place that I like to purchase beef closed up shop however they have another shop 20+ miles away so now Im traveling 40 miles round trip to purchase hambuger-steaks etc. Im going to start buying in bulk I guess so I need to make sure it stays as fresh as possible

TVWBB Member
    For those of you that own them, without considering the value of saving food that might get disposed of; are they cheaper than buying ziplock freezer bags?
    WSM 18.5, Inkbird IRF-4S, Kizen Instant Thermometer

TVWBB Member
    They can be, once you're past the cost of the vacuum sealer itself. We're talking cents per bag over a long period of time, though.

If you are a person that is very diligent about freezing the food, but not about using the food and end up cleaning out a lot of freezer burned food, yes. (this is me)

If you are a person that is good at using frozen stuff before it goes bad in the freezer, no. I'd probably just keep doing what you're doing.

TVWBB Pro
    <scratches head>

I don't consider ziplock freezer bags to be a sufficient replacement for vacuum sealer bags. The material is softer, more prone to punctures and there's no practical way to get as much air out of the bag as I do with a vacuum sealer. I've grilled steaks that were in a vacuum sealed bag for 2 years that didn't even have any frost on the meat. Having said all of that, shop around..... I buy ziploc bags by the case at Costco for occasional use, and vacuum bags from Webstaurantstore.com. The vacuum bags at Webstaurantstore.com are cheap enough that I've nearly stopped using the roll media, between a nickel and a dime per bag, depending on capacity.

TVWBB Member
    If you're a person that has NEVER thrown away freezer burned food, the cost savings is not dramatic enough to change just for the sake of changing.

That's not me though.

TVWBB Fan
    on a side note I am also using the saran wrap - freezer paper method...mainly because one thing I found is I end up partially freezing the meat so the vacuum sealer doesnt suck out juices while trying to seal... this is kind of a pain, Im also faster at wrapping the meat with paper-saran wrap

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast