Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Father's Day Gift: New Smoker! (First Smoker EVER! Now what do I do...?)

TVWBB Member
    Welcome! I just started using a WSM, and while it feels overwhelming and there are many things I'd recommend the only things you absolutely need to get started and do the dang thing when you're ready are a bag of charcoal, something to cook, a way to get it on and off the smoker, and time and patience. You don't even technically need wood chucks (though recommended).

Most folks know better than me but the things I've found important over my first handful of cooks are the instant read thermometer, a leave-in thermometer, a charcoal chimney, a pair of cheap welding gloves (but honestly oven mitts work), and aluminum foil. I don't have any fancy tongs or meat gloves or exotic wood, I was able to get started with a trip to Home Depot to get some charcoal and wood chunks and a grill brush.

I read a lot of the how-to's on the main website, and then I read them again. I also read, re-read, and bookmarked to read again so much stuff on Amazing Ribs.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeLucky View Post
    Why no love on here for the iGrill Weber thermos? I only have the mini but I am a fan. Strangely this board full of Weber homers doesn't seem to like them. What am I missing?
    I've never had one. Talked to a guy last weekend at the Silicon Valley BBQ Championship who says he likes them, that they got BETTER after Weber acquired the product line. So that's one good data point.

I've used ThermoWorks products for a long time, they have a broad product line, lots of options at different price points, a reputation for high quality and good service. So impressed that I became a ThermoWorks affiliate...I would sing their praises even if they wouldn't have me as an affiliate!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Haack View Post
    I just started using a WSM, and while it feels overwhelming and there are many things I'd recommend the only things you absolutely need to get started and do the dang thing when you're ready are a bag of charcoal, something to cook, a way to get it on and off the smoker, and time and patience. You don't even technically need wood chucks (though recommended).
    Yes, this!!!!! Don't get hung up in all the possible mods you could make and all the tools and toys you could buy.

Just start cooking!

TVWBB Platinum Member Timothy F. Lewis's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Allingham View Post
    Yes, this!!!!! Don't get hung up in all the possible mods you could make and all the tools and toys you could buy.

Just start cooking!
    Yes! I totally agree, get a few bags of charcoal and a few pork butts and get started! The butts are not brutally expensive and very forgiving, don’t forget to spray your grates with some sort or “PAM” type thing, it will make clean up much easier. Spray before placing over the heat!!!
    Distinguebant Sed, Ignoret In Particulari!
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease too big a skillet!" J. D. Clampett

TVWBB Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Timothy F. Lewis View Post
    don’t forget to spray your grates with some sort or “PAM” type thing, it will make clean up much easier. Spray before placing over the heat!!!
    Thanks, I learned something today. (the cooking spray, not the fire safety)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12