Father's Day Gift: New Smoker! (First Smoker EVER! Now what do I do...?)

Rev. Mark L

Hey, Everyone!
I'm new to this Forum and new to smoking. I received a 18.5" Smokey Mountain from my wonderful family for Father's Day!

Sooooo, what are my next steps? I've never smoked anything in my life and have no clue what to do to start. (Other than searching through these Forum Threads.)

Is there other equipment I should get? A thermometer of some kind? Some Cajun Bandit accessory? Charcoal? Flavored Charcoal? Hot Mitts? A good How-To book? A YouTube video to watch?

Feel free to share your wisdom with me. And assume I'm completely ignorant about smoking....because I am! :)

I'm in Central Wisconsin with my lovely wife and 6 darling children, so this Weber should be put to good use. LOTS of mouths to feed!

With Anticipation,
Mark

Happy Father's Day! You have just possibly opened a can of worms that leads you down the rabbit hole.... but it leads right to awesome food. lol. My #1 piece of advice is to stick with it, even if your first few smokes don't go as planned. You'll get it figured out and when you do you'll weep for all the lost years that you could have been making tasty meats.

An accurate probe thermometer, a good supply of charcoal, some smoke wood, and patience. Patience is the hardest one for me.
There is a wealth of info here and at a couple of other sites that shall remain nameless.

The single most important accessory, good for barbecuing, grilling, and around the kitchen, is a quality instant-read thermometer.

If you're budget-minded, buy this one: http://thermoworks.com/thermopop?tw=VWB&chan=TVWBB
If you've got a few more bucks available, this is a better choice: https://www.thermoworks.com/Classic-Thermapen?tw=VWB&chan-TVWBB
If you like the best, get this one: https://www.thermoworks.com/Thermapen-Mk4?tw=VWB&chan=TVWBB

In addition to any one of the above, if you want to monitor meat temp continuously while it's cooking:

https://www.thermoworks.com/ChefAlarm?tw=VWB&chan=TVWBB
or
https://www.thermoworks.com/Signals?tw=VWB&chan=TVWBB

Thanks, everyone, for the help! I need to get a decent thermometer and some mitts before I can attempt any meat. Yes, patience will be hard!

Why no love on here for the iGrill Weber thermos? I only have the mini but I am a fan. Strangely this board full of Weber homers doesn't seem to like them. What am I missing?

I would spend a lot of time in Chris's " Cooking Topics " section of this site. It contains detailed recipes that will guide you through your first cooks. You will learn the fundamentals then can find your own way.

Why no love on here for the iGrill Weber thermos? I only have the mini but I am a fan. Strangely this board full of Weber homers doesn't seem to like them. What am I missing?

I always thought they were over priced, but then, I'm kinda frugal.

And Thermoworks products are quality. They are worth it for the probes alone, won't be searching Amazon for new probes.

Hey Rev. Mark L, welcome to the form. The folks here are very helpful, all you need do is ask. I would suggest you remember one thing a very famous bbq master said, " You make GOOD bbq by making BAD bbq. All the best.

Bill

Welcome! I just started using a WSM, and while it feels overwhelming and there are many things I'd recommend the only things you absolutely need to get started and do the dang thing when you're ready are a bag of charcoal, something to cook, a way to get it on and off the smoker, and time and patience. You don't even technically need wood chucks (though recommended).

Most folks know better than me but the things I've found important over my first handful of cooks are the instant read thermometer, a leave-in thermometer, a charcoal chimney, a pair of cheap welding gloves (but honestly oven mitts work), and aluminum foil. I don't have any fancy tongs or meat gloves or exotic wood, I was able to get started with a trip to Home Depot to get some charcoal and wood chunks and a grill brush.

I read a lot of the how-to's on the main website, and then I read them again. I also read, re-read, and bookmarked to read again so much stuff on Amazing Ribs.

I've never had one. Talked to a guy last weekend at the Silicon Valley BBQ Championship who says he likes them, that they got BETTER after Weber acquired the product line. So that's one good data point.

I've used ThermoWorks products for a long time, they have a broad product line, lots of options at different price points, a reputation for high quality and good service. So impressed that I became a ThermoWorks affiliate...I would sing their praises even if they wouldn't have me as an affiliate! :D

I just started using a WSM, and while it feels overwhelming and there are many things I'd recommend the only things you absolutely need to get started and do the dang thing when you're ready are a bag of charcoal, something to cook, a way to get it on and off the smoker, and time and patience. You don't even technically need wood chucks (though recommended).
Yes, this!!!!! Don't get hung up in all the possible mods you could make and all the tools and toys you could buy.

Just start cooking!

Yes, this!!!!! Don't get hung up in all the possible mods you could make and all the tools and toys you could buy.

Just start cooking!

Yes! I totally agree, get a few bags of charcoal and a few pork butts and get started! The butts are not brutally expensive and very forgiving, don’t forget to spray your grates with some sort or “PAM” type thing, it will make clean up much easier. Spray before placing over the heat!!!

Back