Another Skyline!

Ralph Meyer

TVWBB Fan
This isn't one of the "got it for free and it's almost perfect" deals, almost passed on it, but it was deservedly cheap.

dYZkl2W.jpg

Condiment tray is there, but starting to pit. What's the treatment for that? Rust encapsulator or POR??

c72n0Bz.jpg

Don't know if the grates are usable, but surprisingly it has good stainless steel bars.

Nb1BSBT.jpg

IjKrP5l.jpg

All the wood is there, but I'll need to fab a bracket for the swing table.
xQF6bcJ.jpg

Also had a full quick connect propane bottle dated 1998 and 3 stuck manifold valves.

I'm thinking maybe a black out treatment on the dura wood with either paint or plasti dip. I love plasti-dip :D.

Frame has some rust issues at the connectors, may have to get my neighbor to work in his metal shop for some frame work.

Maybe I'll get started on it in a few weeks after I finish my 2000.

Welcome to the Skyline Club, Ralph and belatedly to TVWBB!

i3FJugm.jpg

That one can be brought back; all you need are parts and labor:eek:. For the condiment rack I used POR 15 pretty successfully. It fills in some of the pitting. You can then coat with satin or gloss black depending on the look you want.

We will look forward to seeing how it comes along and are glad to have you as another member:coolkettle:!

Last edited:
Awesome. Ralph, if you care to get rid of that basket on the front right, let me know.
Bruce

Welcome to the club, being from Chicago I really like mine. Looking forward to seeing the completed grill.

Trying to make z brackets

Started looking at parts of this grill. To refresh, here's what the letgo ad looked like:

20$ Gas Grill
iyBJxdC.jpg

Look closely, yep, that's a Skyine.

Swing shelf obviously needs some work-
3Q8OmEJ.jpg

I think I might want to put wood on the bottom shelf in place of the wire tray, so would need some Z brackets. I could pony $17 + shipping per pair to RCP and get something that looks professionally fabricated. Too easy. Why would I do that when I can waste more money (and time) and have something crappy that I make myself :).

So I head to harbor freight and pick up this-
https://www.harborfreight.com/18-inch-bending-brake-39103.html
I'm in it for about $34.00 with the everpresent HB coupon, so I'll have to skip a round of golf in the next month.

To do the Z bracket, that brake needs some modification. Specifically, a slot to put the first bend down into. It needs to result in a 5/8 inch initial and 2nd bend. So.....lay out some lines, drill some holes and try to cut a slot with my jigsaw:
1gGWlzV.jpg

In spite of my guide bar, my blade still wanders a little bit, so I took a dremel grinding wheel to my slot to get it back "on line" as much as possible. Still not perfect, but mediocre, like all my stuff......Draw a 5/8 guide line on the top part of the brake, with a sharpie. Note to self-get some fine tip sharpies and next time leave some overhang on the workbench to allow some clamping.

I only have some 22 ga sheet metal around. Not as thick as original, but ok for prototype purposes.

Here I am ready for my first bend.
RWG13tV.jpg

Looks pretty good..:rolleyes:
Rearrange. put the bend just made into the slot drilled in the lower part of the brake, line up the bending bar and I'm ready for the 2nd bend-
d2SkTs7.jpg

Sorry for the changing of perspectives and stuff. I need to work on my documentation skills. This piece of metal is a little wonky, cause I had bent it up earlier and straightened it out.

Here's how it came out-
LFrDJIr.jpg

Not too bad. There's a 1/16th or so variation in the "depth where the wood would sit. Need to try to clean up my slot a little bit and find some 16 ga stock. Maybe this brake will bend it and I can work on some swing shelf brackets!;)

Like Bruce, I like where this is going. I am looking for the swing shelf brackets and rod so you might be able to aim me at a path to make my own. Thanks Ralph, Good Luck and can’t wait for more pics.

I really think that all you need for the swing table rods are some small "U" brackets.

I'm addicted to watching these grills come back to life. Fascinating.

Thank you, best of luck and don't be afraid to ask questions. We have too many answers ready to be unleashed!

So I head to harbor freight and pick up this-
https://www.harborfreight.com/18-inch-bending-brake-39103.html
I'm in it for about $34.00 with the everpresent HB coupon

Ralph, thanks for posting. I purchased the same brake last year and have made
3 sets of z brackets so far, but never took the time to take pics and post. Nice work.
The next time I do this, I intend to make a couple of extra sets to have as spares,
just to save all the prep and set up time.

Still not perfect, but mediocre, like all my stuff......

I got a nice chuckle out of that. I think most of us would say the same of our own work.

Pretty easy with once you get the brake set up and the sheet cut to the proper size-which is my biggest issue using a jig saw. Finagling with the clamps and clamping bar and actually doing the bends is easy and relatively quick. Round the corners with bench grinder and drill the holes is easy enough. Ive only done 22ga, which is smaller than stock, which is< I'm guessing 18 or 20. Based on reviews, I don't think the HB brake will do 16ga.

Back