Blue Silver B - Slat color?

TonyS T-Bone

TVWBB Super Fan
I'm about to start rehabbing a Silver B, bluehead. What is your opinion on woods/stain color for the wood slats? Light/dark? Just trying to get some ideas, thanks.

Timothy is definitely right about darker being forgiving. I love it on my "blackout look" Skyline. My first reaction, though, was to recommend a light color wood for a blue hood, just because I think it will set off the blue better. Harder to care for, though. You probably can't go that wrong either way. Wood nicely stained and coated is always beautiful!

Here's a blue kettle (not perfect) with light color wood handles just as something to compare:

IsreaHr.jpg

None I am pretty sure. But, you can fit the wood tables in place of the thermoset. I have never tried, but I think a person with a little skill could also adapt the newer fold-down bracket to an old-style wood slat fold-down table.

I really like the blue with light wood posted by Bobby.

Bobby,

You may have already seen pictures I posted of my Skyline in the past, but here are a couple more since you mentioned the darker wood on a Skyline. I used red oak, which many correctly advise against, but I coated it heavily with marine grade high quality spar urethane. I used dark walnut stain.

10clu0m.jpg

w1whtl.jpg

Jon, how is that spar holding up on the oak.

So far so good, Brian. That McCloskey Man O War stuff is first class. But I have to admit that a set of thermoset flip up tables would still be easier to clean. I will always want one wood slat grill for its charm but hope to wind up also with a thermoset table gas grill to use as a daily driver.

Back