Is this the best of both worlds

George Si

TVWBB Super Fan
I am talking about the side mounted genesis 300 series. Is that the ideal grill? Satisfies the rotisserie question because of E/W burners. Has a taller profile. Is slightly larger(19.5” grate length). Is enclosed... Love to hear opinions and reasons why or why not. In comparison I am talking about it has all the good points of a Silver B and an E330 combined??? Maybe not? Thanks. George

Yes George...for some it is. They're also known as sidewinders. The main downfall for that grill IMO is the cheap metal they used for the cabinet as it can rust quickly if not tended to. Other than that you can say it's the best of both worlds (if you mind not having a sear burner anyway).

I am a fan of sorts. It is the very last Genesis with the crossover ignition and lengthwise burners. As you noted it combines that aspect with the somewhat larger size and contemporary styling of the newer Genesis grills. It still looks "modern" which is important to some people.

Sam is dead on about the cabinetry. I actually have a few stainless replacement bottom and back pieces made by a friend before he sold his sheet metal shop. But the rust monster also goes after those integrated frame/panel side pieces. That can be costly to replace, so make sure you have one that isn't already a lost cause. Some thorough rust treatment and good care to one that is still salvageable will get you a really nice grill.

Hopefully Rich Dahl will reply. He has one that I believe he uses regularly and can compare to his "classic" Genesis grills.

I second the rust issue. They are great if they have no rust but horrible when rusted. Often it is not just the floor panel that rusts away but also the side panels which combine paneling and frame. And these are freaking expensive to replace. Prices seem to vary: I paid around $90 for a floor panel last year. Now ereplacment parts show it for $120 plus shipping. The side panels run for over $300 each!!!!
I just picked up an S320 this weekend which was stored in a warehouse. No rust. Only had remains of mouse or rats nest inside. Waiting for some new flavorizer bars to come in and then I will be selling it again. Personally I would not want one for me because my grills are always outside exposed to the weather and it would rust eventually.

I agree Jon and Stefan, that's why really like my 05-06 Genesis Platinum grill (open cart) as you can leave that one outside, uncovered and not have to worry about the frame rusting out.

Here I am Jon. :cool:
I have a 2007 E320 in NG, it gets used on a daily basis in the summer as it's our outdoor oven to help keep the house cool and the go to grill for quick cooks in the Winter. I've had it for about 4 years. I like it because of all the things you said it's a little taller and a little bigger then the Genesis X000s which I also have 3 of.
I cannot address the cabinet issues because rust isn't allowed in Arizona, but my cabinet is like new.
The grill has been outstanding as far as reliability goes all the parts are original to the grill and with the heavy use it gets I'm amazed.
I just bought a rotisserie from Chris for it. I have a rotisserie for my Genesis 2000 but wanted one because of the NG with the E320 I didn't have to worry about the tank running out. Just like the Gen 2000 the rotisserie works great.
I hope that answers some of your questions.

47988467587_be76fa165a_z.jpg
[/url]100_4856 by Richard Dahl, on Flickr[/IMG]

This is my Gen 1000 I bought new in 1998 It's now been converted to a Gen 2000 so you can see I've had a long relation ship with both styles

36758629936_af6be7c1aa_z.jpg
[/url]DSCN2766 by Richard Dahl, on Flickr[/IMG]

Last edited:
So as I read it the preference is the older Silver, Gold ,etc. true about the rust issue. I see many on marketplace and CL and the bottoms are rusted. So even post a pic of the grill and the hood open but Not the open cabinet. Maybe I have the best of both worlds, my Silver B, which is great for rotisserie and very competent as a regular grill. When indirect cooking is it preferable having the meat in it he back with only front burner or meat up front with only back burner or on

Even the older enclosed cabinet versions of the Silver/Gold/Platinum grills have rust problems. But here it is mainly limited to the floor pan which can be replaced easier and cheaper since it is not part of the frame structure.

Here I am Jon. :cool:
I have a 2007 E320 in NG, it gets used on a daily basis in the summer as it's our outdoor oven to help keep the house cool and the go to grill for quick cooks in the Winter.
This is my Gen 1000 I bought new in 1998 It's now been converted to a Gen 2000 so you can see I've had a long relation ship with both styles

Funny, that we're similar. I have a 2007 S320 which I bought used last year. I also have a 1999 1300LX in hunter green which I bought new.
I'm hoping that I will not get any more rust now that my grills are on my deck. Previously they were right on the ground. I also store my grills inside the shed for the winter.

Back