Genesis 1000 uneven heating

Dustin Dorsey

TVWBB Hall of Fame
This grill has done this ever since I've restored it and had it, but I've noticed that it gets progressively cooler the further left I go along the cooking grate. The flames seem pretty even. I've cleaned the burners and they did this brand new. I've got all the RC planebuyer stuff in it. Am I just not preheating long enough or is this normal? Anyone have any tips on it. I usually just rotate stuff around so it's not a big deal but I've understood that these grills were supposed to be pretty darn even.

It is true, in my experience anyway, that these Genesis grills tend to be a little hotter closest to the manifold. But this difference shouldn't be dramatic. A double set of stainless flavorizer bars does take some time to fully heat up. How long are you currently waiting before grilling?

Probably about 10 to 15 minutes. Sometimes I rush it because as some point you might as well light a charcoal chimney. I'll try giving it more time. It's not super dramatic but it's noticeable.

Make sure the valves are functioning properly. I had the issue many years ago and finally found the back sides of each orifice were corroded. I cleaned them well and ran a wire through each opening. Washed them with some spray solvent "brake cleaner" and issue was solved. Though the side winders all have a slight variation from side to side but nowhere near enough to effect cooking performance

I think my 1000 is a bit hotter on the manifold side as well. I always thought that it was strange since the crossover tube is on the left and obviously puts out extra heat as well.

The effect of decreasing pressure along the length of the burner tube is what led Weber to develop the "G4" burners for the Genesis II that tapers along its length. This feature is supposed to allow for more even heat along the length of the burner.

I think is just physics at play here.
My friend Silver A definitely has this issue. Cleaning burners helps some.
Regular gas stove kitchen is
round so that design solves that problem.
Like Jon said the Weber G4 system looks like is a fix also. Pretty cool.
Maybe Broilmaster bowtie burner design is to help with even heat distribution. They figure it out long ago. 😁
Fire has to be controlled in order to be useful.

Last edited:
Well I cooked some brats on it last night and preheated the hell of it. The one on the right is always done first and you can see the grill marks get lighter the further left you go. I did clean all the valves a while back. They may need it again, but I doubt it. I sprayed out all the orifices with carb cleaner at that time.

While this may seem like a "flaw". In some ways, it is a bonus as long as you know about it. If you are cooking steaks for example and on person wants medium rare and the other wants medium, then you just place the steaks on the respective sides and they should get done about the same time. I really don't think the difference is all that much however.

Last edited:
Yeah I can't say my kettle cooks all that even, either and my offset certainly doesn't. If there's an easy solution I'd do it, otherwise I'll just live with it.

Maybe some members with the new Genesis II can weigh in on their experience. My own experiences with a Genesis x000 and a Silver is that there is some variation but I don't feel as substantial as Dustin is having.

It is interesting that the Broilmaster "bow-tie" burner was mentioned by Chris. Broilmaster has bragged for years about its grilling evenness. While I have used one a few times, I can't say I have enough experience to verify. What they do have for sure is a LOT of power and yet can also do indirect low and slow very well. The bowtie is a lot better than your typical oval burner found in most smaller old-style grills. That's why I shoe-horned one into my little antique Sunbeam THE JUDGE grill.

xepl5k.jpg

yn0bRNK.jpg

If not for the broken lid, that looks like a good candidate for a rehab if you wanted to do a Broilermaster. They do pop up occasionally and you might be able to snag a new lid down the road.

YES!

If he means that stainless part I can show you how I fixed mine. I don’t see anything on the hood itself. The cover alone is worth $40-$50. I wish I could get it!

Back