Build quality of 2019 Weber Genesis II S-335

Patrick Re

I am currently in the market for a new gas grill to replaced my rusted out Dyna Glo. I pad about $250 for that grill, and got six years out of it, rebuilding the internals once. I really don't think that is terrible, for what I paid, but I have a little extra money now, and would like to get something nicer.

I have spent a ridiculous amount of time looking at grills online and in person, over the last month. The grill that checks all of the boxes on paper is the 2019 Weber Genesis II S-335 (it may be a 2018 model. It does have the sear burner on it). I looked at this grill, in person, and it seemed to be well made, but I don't really know much about grills.

I know you can't believe everything you read on the internet, but I keep reading how Weber grills aren't made like they used to be. To anyone who has bought the Weber Genesis II S-335 in 2018 or 2019, what is your opinion on the build quality and longevity of this grill? Is this grill a good value for the money (I'm not looking for cheap, I'm looking for value)? Would you buy it again, or try something different?

Thanks for the help, everyone.

I just bout the E-335 with sear burner and in my humble opinion the build quality is excellent. No complaints here, time will tell.

Hey Patrick, welcome to the board!

If you do have a Costco membership then check out the S-345...you can read more about it on this thread...

https://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?77031-Saw-this-Genesis-at-Costco-today/page4

It's too early to tell on the longevity on the grill yet but most of the feedback I've seen on them are positive. I'm sure whatever grill you choose (S-335/345 or E-335) it will serve you well and would be a big step up from the Dyna glo. The one thing I like about the one from Costco is the return policy. Good luck!

Thanks for the info. I will be buying from Lowes. There isn't a Costco close to me.

(Edit: Sorry for the short response. Was trying to get something quick in, on my phone, and was super busy at work)

Last edited:
Patrick,

Are you looking at one with the 9mm grates? Closed in or open cart? My personal recommendation would be this one:

73FyOEQ.jpg

It is the Special Edition 330. I think the open cart has a way better chance of lasting a while. Love the higher end grates, handle light and color reminiscent of the older classic Weber Genesis grills.

https://www.bbqguys.com/weber-grill...ition-propane-gas-grill-crimson-61032201-2019

BBQGuys will deliver it to you for $949 with free shipping:cool:.

Patrick,

Are you looking at one with the 9mm grates? Closed in or open cart? My personal recommendation would be this one:

73FyOEQ.jpg

It is the Special Edition 330. I think the open cart has a way better chance of lasting a while. Love the higher end grates, handle light and color reminiscent of the older classic Weber Genesis grills.

https://www.bbqguys.com/weber-grill...ition-propane-gas-grill-crimson-61032201-2019

BBQGuys will deliver it to you for $949 with free shipping:cool:.

I was specifically looking at this one:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Weber-Gene...er-Natural-Gas-Grill-1-Side-Burner/1000681537

The one you linked, and the one Sam linked definitely look like better deals, but I had some Amazon cash back that I converted into Lowes gift certificates. I also like that I can have Lowes deliver the assembled grill to my house, like and appliance. I am the absolute worst at putting things together. If there is a two hour estimate for building this, it will probably take me eight hours, plus replacing parts I broke, plus a probable medical bill. I am REALLY bad at it.

I really appreciate everyone's responses, and all of the help! Also, sorry for the short response, earlier, Sam. I was super busy at work, and wanted to get a quick response in on my phone. I do appreciate your help, as well.

Patrick my brother bought a 4 burner genesis II roughly 2 years ago. The build quality appears excellent. He's very satisfied with his.

I have recently purchased a Genesis II, cast iron grates w/ 3 burners, natural gas. It is wonderful. In addition I used another identical Genesis II that gets community use (abuse). It worked perfectly. Another friend has a genesis II, propane-he loves it after having used Weber then a cheaper grill and now is back to Weber. He is happy camper!

Weber may not be perfect but it has proven to be trustworthy. I wouldn't have anything else in the price range. Others may have more experience with competitive grills and can comment. Genesis II seems to be a good value and a very good grill.

No worries Patrick. I'm sure you'll be happy with whatever Weber Genesis grill you decide on.

I'm also considering the Broil King Signet ( https://www.lowes.com/pd/Broil-King-Signet-320-Stainless-Steel-Black-3-Liquid-Propane-Gas-Grill/1000711814 ). I don't think it looked or felt as nice as the Genesis II, in person, but it looks like it would get hot enough to sear steaks, without the sear burner. I doubt it would last nearly as long as the Weber, and I prefer the steel grates on the Weber, but for less than half the price, I am considering it. Anyone have experience with the Signet 320, or Broil King in general?

Boy talk about Apples and oranges LOL. No matter which some things to keep in mind. Both will be fine for straight up grilling and limited roasting. Neither will be worth a plugged nickle for rotisserie cooking. So if that is on your list of wants/must haves don't waste your $$$ on either one. Their burner layout does not work for spinning food properly. So if that is what you need look elsewhere.

I'm also considering the Broil King Signet ( https://www.lowes.com/pd/Broil-King-Signet-320-Stainless-Steel-Black-3-Liquid-Propane-Gas-Grill/1000711814 ). I don't think it looked or felt as nice as the Genesis II, in person, but it looks like it would get hot enough to sear steaks, without the sear burner. I doubt it would last nearly as long as the Weber, and I prefer the steel grates on the Weber, but for less than half the price, I am considering it. Anyone have experience with the Signet 320, or Broil King in general?

We have a Broil King 5 burner at our church's property way out in the boondocks of rural Florida. (See my post about restoring grills in "real" Florida.)

I would say the Broil King looks like a mixed bag - true of most grills for sale today.

The Good:

Grates were very nice quality stainless steel. If I recall non-magnetic.
Closed in cabinet, while not stainless steel at least had a porcelain covered bottom. That is a big step up from Weber's painted steel bottoms that ALWAYS rust out.
Exterior stainless seemed to hold up in the wilds of Florida much better than a Weber Spirit that is also out there and now looks like it has the measles.

The Bad:

The "double sleeve" burners were all shot after just 2 or 3 years of use.
Not too sure about the firebox strength or how well the grease management works.

Compared to the two "Master Forge" clunkers out there, the Broil King was head and shoulders above them. But, given a choice, I would still way rather have a new Weber of similar size.

I have a little experience with broil king. Never owned one but did use one for a week at a vacation rental. And I've discussed them with the guys at my local grill store that sell them.

I'll echo everything Jon says. But I'll add that for the exterior parts like the hood and side tables they use a cheap grade stainless. It really doesn't rust through but it pits and stains badly as time goes on. They even use that cheap stainless on their highest end grills. Or they did several years ago.

Broil king is a good grill overall. But Weber is better IMO.

Definitely apples and oranges, as the Signet to the Spirit would be a more fair comparison. I know I don't "need" something as nice as the S-335, but it should would be nice to have.

I don't have experience with that exact grill, but my experience with grills like it is they work good and save a lot of money on the first purchase. Then a few years down the road they are in need of rebuilding but not really worth it. So you buy another one and save a lot of money versus getting a different expensive grill. And a few years down the road they are falling apart and you buy another one and save a lot of money versus buying an expensive grill.

Definitely apples and oranges, as the Signet to the Spirit would be a more fair comparison. I know I don't "need" something as nice as the S-335, but it should would be nice to have.

The new Spirits are also good grills from the reviews I've read. And they come in different colors too as I'd go for a blue one. I'm not sure if you like tinkering with things but have you thought about rehabbing an old school grill like a Genesis Silver B? If you go that route you'd be able to get quality SS rods and bars and still come out one top financially...it'll also be a good grill for spinning meat as it'll have the EW burner setup...just something to think about.

Sam, I know that rehabbing an older Weber would get me the best grill AND the best price, but I'm really not looking to put that much effort into it. To find a decent selection, I'd probably have to drive to the Pittsburgh area (two hours away), rent a truck, and inconvenience someone else for close to a full day. I really just want someone to deliver the assembled grill to my house and put it where I want it.

I'm also hoping to move within the next year, which is making the decision harder. If I spend a grand on the Weber, I'm definitely going to want to take it with me. I'd probably have to take it partially apart, to safely get it down about 30 concrete stairs. If I buy a cheaper one, I'd probably just give it to the new homeowners and then buy the S-335 for my new place.

I also saw the 330, with an open bottom,at Lowe's. https://www.lowes.com/pd/Weber-Gene...id-Propane-Gas-Grill-1-Side-Burner/1000681469

That looks similar to the one Jon mentioned, without the SS grates. If the open model is going to hold up better than the closed model, I may be better off with that one, and replacing the grates if I can't properly maintain them.

I really wish I wasn't so indecisive...

Patrick: I think I would just hold off another year until I figure our if and where I would be moving. Your next situation could be completely different.

Back