2008 Weber Summit S-670 Infrared burner question

Simon S

Hello all

Picked up the above BBQ off KIJIJI, quite clean, small amounts of surface rust in the lower cabinet which I will clean and address.

All the burners work great and the firebox is very clean... I cannot seem to get the infrared rotisserie burner to light? It sparks up when I click the knob on, and I hold it for twenty seconds but nothing happens. I cannot smell or hear any LP, not sure if the panel is too dirty and needs cleaning?

If so, how do I remove this, and how do I actually clean it?

Thank you so much!

It should not need cleaning. Many grills use a thermo safety valve so if the IR burner blows out it will **** off the gas. I don't know what the Summit uses however. I would try looking for the gas line and see what is inline between valve and burner. Don't try cleaning it

So just to update

I fiddled with it today, managed to get it lit by holding the knob in while repeatedly turning the spark on and off until it lit, held for twenty.. And then it shut off, can't seem to get it lit and stay lit, once I release the pressure on the knob it shuts off again...

Thermo safety valve?

I have never been inside a Summit but it would not surprise me if there was something like this https://www.ebay.com/itm/SOUTHBEND-...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649 in it. It's necessary because many times if doing a rotisserie a supplemental burner(s) may be called for perhaps to help with a little smoke or just to add a little heat to the ends of the grill. Imagine the issue if the IR burner flamed out yet was still pouring gas into the grill body and those lit conventional burners. "Can you say mushroom cloud boys and girls?" "Sure I knew you could" Humor aside it would be very dangerous

Not sure that thermocouple may not be the issue but the safety valve could be. I thought I had a thermocouple issue on my Wolf about 3 years ago but I took the safety valve itself apart, cleaned and relubed and it's been fine since

Not sure that thermocouple may not be the issue but the safety valve could be. I thought I had a thermocouple issue on my Wolf about 3 years ago but I took the safety valve itself apart, cleaned and relubed and it's been fine since

Safety valve should be behind burner knob?

No they're WAY too big. Again assuming there even is one. I will assume it has one. Looking at a schematic it appears it may be built into the valve itself. The IR burner valve appears much larger on the schematics and appears to have a connection for the thermocouple. Hopefully just the thermocouple takes care of yours as it seems to get the valve you have to buy a whole manifold

No they're WAY too big. Again assuming there even is one. I will assume it has one. Looking at a schematic it appears it may be built into the valve itself. The IR burner valve appears much larger on the schematics and appears to have a connection for the thermocouple. Hopefully just the thermocouple takes care of yours as it seems to get the valve you have to buy a whole manifold

I appreciate it! I will attempt to swap it out, wish there were more instructions online tho.. Or first hand experience with the summit?

Back