All-American Potato Salad with Eggs and Sweet Pickles - from ATK

Clint

TVWBB Olympian
"Few salads make a splash at potlucks or picnics the way potato salad does—this classic, all-American side always seems to disappear first. We wanted a recipe for a traditional, creamy (read: mayonnaise-based) potato salad that looked good—no mushy, sloppy spuds—and tasted even better.

We began by choosing red potatoes. The skin adds color to a typically monochromatic salad. We boiled them whole for best flavor and then used a serrated knife to cut the potatoes into fork-friendly chunks—the serrated edge helps prevent the skins from tearing for a nicer presentation. While the potatoes were still warm, we drizzled them with vinegar and added a sprinkle of salt and pepper; this preseasoning gave the finished salad more flavor. When the potatoes were cool, we folded in the final traditional touches—mayonnaise, pickles, and red onion—for a perfect potluck potato salad, with a creamy dressing and firm bites of potato."

INGREDIENTS

2 pounds Red Bliss potato or new potatoes, boiled, peeled if desired, and cut into 3/4-inch cubes
¼ cup red wine vinegar
½ teaspoon salt (I added more salt after it'd sat for a while)
½ teaspoon ground black pepper
3 hard-boiled eggs, peeled and cut into small dice (skipped these)
2 tablespoons red onion, chopped
1 small celery stalk, cut into small dice (about 1/2 cup)
¼ cup finely chopped sweet pickle (not relish)
½ cup mayonnaise
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
¼ cup fresh minced parsley (didn't have parsley, I chopped the leafy tops of the celery sticks though)

INSTRUCTIONS

SERVES 6 TO 8
1. BOIL POTATOES Place potatoes in a 4- to 6-quart pot; cover with water. Bring to a boil, cover, and simmer, stirring once or twice to ensure even cooking, until a thin-bladed paring knife or a metal cake tester inserted into the potato can be removed with no resistance (25 to 30 minutes for medium potatoes and 15 to 20 minutes for new potatoes). Drain; cool potatoes slightly and peel if you like. Cut potatoes (use a serrated knife if they have skins) into 3/4-inch cubes while still warm, rinsing knife occasionally in warm water to remove gumminess.

2. Layer warm potato cubes in medium bowl; sprinkle with vinegar, salt, and pepper as you go. Refrigerate while preparing remaining ingredients.

3. Mix in remaining ingredients; refrigerate until ready to serve.

NUTRITIONAL INFORMATION
Per Serving (Serves 8)
Calories 222
Cholesterol 61 mg
Fat 12 g
Sodium 272 mg
Saturated 2 g
Carbs 22 g
Trans 0 g
Dietary Fiber 2 g
Monounsaturated 3 g
Sugar 2 g
Polyunsaturated 6 g
Protein 4 g

https://www.americastestkitchen.com...ican-potato-salad-with-eggs-and-sweet-pickles

I made this yesterday morning with only a few changes. Theirs called for 2# of potatoes, I wanted to make 5#, so I roughly multiplied by 2.5. My 5 quart bowl was too small, I had to use the 8 quart stock pot to combine all the ingredients.

I skipped adding hardboiled eggs to the potato salad and didn't miss it, especially after it'd been put together for a couple hours (made it at 8am, ate some at 9am, 2:30pm, & again ~8:30pm :). I added a hardboiled egg to one serving and it wasn't an improvement, the potato salad already tasted so rich that I'd have thought it contained eggs if someone said it did.

Next change I'll make is to sub 50% of the mayo with sour cream in effort to lighten the total calories and make sure it's still good.

Another change - I didn't have red wine vinegar so I used cooking sherry & rice wine vinegar.......... It worked out.

Back