Manifold valve question

George Si

TVWBB Super Fan
Hi,
I have seen the video on how to clean out the valve stems with grease etc., but not really into doing all that. My question is can I spray a tiny bit of WD40 on the stem so it trickles down to make the stem turn a bit more smoothly....I tread lightly here because I don't want to mess anything up..Thanks, as always George

George:
Someone answered that quite some time ago, that it didn't work. I've done it both my son's and my 2007 Genesis. Very easy to do. A little brake cleaner, some que tips and new lube. Works like a champ. Only tool you need is a phillips screwdriver to take the 2 screws out of each valve.

I did see the video and it didn’t seem overly difficult, but I guess I would have to watch to see what kind of grease and putting back everything properly
Do u have the link for the video. Thanks
George

Thanks so much for the link. Really looked simple enough. Just have to go to auto store to pick up the stuff. It seems in the video when he was rubbing the grease around the cylinder with the holes grease got into the holes. Should that be Q-tipped out?

I feel a bit nervous about what lube to get. I thought I read somewhere no lithium base?? How about silicone based?? Any recommendations please. George

On another thread you noted stripping out the screws. Using a good quality screw driver of proper size prevents that. Also putting the valve/manifold in a vice to keep it steady and giving the end of the screwdriver a light tap with a SMALL ball peen helps wonders.
That being said you are beyond that. So in a pinch a drop or two of thin oil that can take heat up to 350 deg without varnishing up will "help". One of the best things I have found is ATF (auto transmission fluid). Does not matter what type. Just a tiny amount is all. So cheapest stuff you can find. You can even mix that with some Marvel Mystery Oil 50/50 which will thin it out a bit more and allow for a little more penetration into the valve stem. Again ONLY A DROP OR TWO then work the valves. This is not the best way but the only way you have now that you've stripped the screws

Sorry I must have written it wrong. I meant I have heard about people stripping the screws. Mine are not stripped. Haven’t done the work yet but both screws in the first valve were easy to turn. Bought some CRC brake/caliper lube and brake cleaner at auto zone. Dame lube is expensive. Gonna try another auto shop down the street. At the gym now so will do stuff when I get home. The CRC has moly, orders and graphite and can take 609 degrees

Thanks gonna check for that one at a large auto store down the road. And see what they have cheaper that has no silicone or lithium. If not I wanna get this done today

Thanks gonna check for that one at a large auto store down the road. And see what they have cheaper that has no silicone or lithium. If not I wanna get this done today

George, you can use Permatex Ultra Disc Brake Lubricant. Its in a green package its only $1.00 and it will last at least 3 valve jobs as I have done 3 or 4. Its on a rack on the counter at the autozone or whatever with a bunch of other 4G weight packages.

Hi,
Stupidity has surfaced, and a very embarrassing situation......I managed to clean the valves. They were different than the vid-no notches to pop right back in...anyway, after all that I was screwing in the hose/regulator into the manifold, and your truly overtightened, And snapped off the connection to the manifold.....Some of these p[laces have the part at 140$+..They are expensive. Anyway called Weber by chance and explained what happened, and the kind lady gave me a hefty discount and said she would also have to send a new control panel??? So that is the story. GeorgPS how much are you supposed to tighten that part...hand tighten, then 1/4 turn???

George:
Sounds like a job for an easy out to get the broken piece out of the manifold. What you need to replace in most cases is a 1/8th NPT male x 3/8th male flare unless you striped the threads on current manifold. If you have a 1/8" male in your had that's probably what you did with too much torque.

Back