Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How did you get into bbqing/smoking food?

How did you get into bbqing/smoking food?

I purchased my first smoker as an impulse buy, it was a fundraiser to help my uncle with a kidney transplant probably 10 years ago. Got a wsm 18.5 for a 100 bucks. Found this website and started Using the snot out of it for special occasions and family gatherings until upgrading to a 22.5 wsm.

I had always had an interest, bought a Brinkman water smoker in the 80's but never figured it out.

Then I found this site in 2002.

TVWBB Member
    The woman in my life loved smoked meats and I damn sure wanted to be the one to make her favorites. So I learned.

TVWBB Pro
    I always have enjoyed smoked food, never really had it growing up, though. 30+ years ago, I had some of the best pulled pork in a tiny little roadside shack in Tennessee, and 25 years ago, I got sent to Houston for several 2 week long business trips, where I found Texas brisket. Hooked.... I figured out how to use a smoker box in a gas grill for chicken and steaks. 10 years ago, I started trying brisket in a charcoal grill (ATK method.) A year ago, I went all in. The smoker I'm finishing up will do 10 full packer briskets at once.

My g/f and a few other friends are now getting a bit of a chuckle, as it's getting harder for me to walk into a smokehouse restaurant, and downright difficult to order brisket.

Found this site 2 years ago when I built my HeaterMeter for a leaky horizontal offset smoker.

Life is too short to eat bad barbecue. Or drink cheap beer. Or drink bad booze.

I retired and my wife and I loved BBQ so I bought a cheap Brinkmann modified it into an El Cheapo Brinkmann (ECB). My wife and family loved the stuff coming off it but it worked me to death managing the temp. I got an 18.5 WSM and never looked back.
    Old dog, learning new tricks - one cook at a time :-). -14.5" and 18.5" WSM, SS Performer, CB Rotisserie, Rec Tec Mini Pellet Grill

Started out on a big chief smoking fish and drying jerky. Interest just grew from there. Weber kettle had a hand in it too.
    Cameron, Smokin-it model 3

I guess you could say it all started long, long ago when I was a little non-shaver in the Boy Scouts.
    Smokin' away in AK
    22" Red Kettle 2x18.5" Smokey Mountain Genesis Silver B Green

Met my wife in 1980, I'm from Levittown, Pa. she's from Evansville, In. she took me to a place called MARXS BBQ for a sandwich they called a soak (pulled Pork) Later that year we get married and living in Levittown where we couldn't even spell BBQ. My sister and BIL gave us an ECB as a wedding present, 6 smokers later + 1 18.5 WSM for younger son and 1 18.5 WSM for older son. Last year the younger son bought a large BGE. He liked it so much he bought one for me.

A buddy of mine brought a smoker to fish camp one year. We smoked a ton of Lake Trout, ate and drank all week long. When my head finally cleared, I went out and bought a Brinkman. What a lesson in humility. Even with all the mods I read about and applied, it was the Devil! I must have ruined about $600 worth of meat trying to produce something edible. I started looking at the Big Green Egg but didn't want to sell a kidney for it. I took a shot at the Weber. The first one I bought was the 22.5". It just came out that year. Been a fan ever since. Won my first comp with it too.

TVWBB Member
    My son started smoking meat for parties a couple years ago on a pellet smoker. As I love ribs and pulled pork I wanted to get one and give it a shot. The smoker I liked was close to $1000 so I figured I'd go cheap and get a charcoal smoker to try before dropping the big bucks. Went with the 14.5 as there are only 2 of us, it is working out very well although I can see me getting the 18 in the not too distant future, I'm undecided on the pellet job, the charcoal is working out fine, especially being retired.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast