Coming back to smoking.

Scott Dacey

I'm an old member but thought I'd reintroduce myself. I'd been away from the site for a couple or a few years. i had the 22" which was great but as my family dwindled I found it to big for what my wife and I need so I gave it to my Brother, that was over a year ago. I just picked up a used 18.5" Bullet Circa 1999. Paid a hunert for her, my wife thinks I got taken. It was in pretty tough shape, looked like it had sat in an old barn somewhere and it was covered in a tar like substance. Though it was kept dry so the grate didn't completely rust out. With a little elbow grease and some bug and tar remover, a propane torch and a couple of the wife's dish towels (thats another story) :D, it came out pretty nice, just in time for Fathers Day. This model didn't come with a heat deflector on the bottom or a thermometer. I just added the thermometer. I'm just amazed at the durability of these smokers. 20 years of service many years of sitting in an old barn and a good cleaning and we are smoking again. I'll post a pic as soon as I figure out how. I used to do it back in the day.

t4Ierh.jpg

Last edited:
Welcome back, Scott! Your WSM looks like brand new again. Fire that baby up and get to smokin' sumthin'!!:wsm:

Welcome back Scott. You did a great job on that 18.5 and looking forward to seeing some cooks.

I did 3 racks this past week end. They came out good but done way to early. It was tough to keep the temp stable because it would fluctuate something awful. I would catch the temp on the way up with my old 22.5" and it would crank all night long without me fussing with it. This little 18" is a tough customer. I use sand in the water bowl. It always worked with the 22. On the 22 I had raised the charcoal grate up, so the dampers were below the grate.
So I'm thinking of a couple mods. One, raise the charcoal grate above the dampers. Two, add another two dampers. One on the bottom bowl and another on the lid. I'm hoping the temp will come up and I'll be able to control it better.

Back