Older Genesis Rehab Details-Knobs and Wheels

Ralph Meyer

TVWBB Fan
All,

I've picked up a 95 Genesis 2000 and have started cleaning it up. It was amazingly clean for having never been cleaned.... virtually no rust other than the igniter housing. FBs and grates were, as expected trashed. It fired right up, with all parts complete except, as you can see, the catch pan.

GKkNv9r.jpg

Is there any consensus about what to do with knobs? They don't look bad enough to get a picture of, just a little discolored or something. I've tried every car detailing product I have on them to no avail. This is a nit, but I'm probably going to keep this or pass it on to some kids. Do you all recommend painting them, and do you have a recommended paint in similar color??

Similar question for wheels. The white walls are fading blackish. I tried a wipe with some APC that seemed to make them worse. Any way to rejuvenate the whitewalls and wheels, or do you just buy new ones if you want them more perfect? Uncle Al on the WKC used to sell acrylic whitewalls, but he's no longer around and I don't know of any other source.

Thanks!

Soak the knobs is pure bleach for a couple hours. Then clean them with a rag soaked in the bleach. Use the bleach to clean the wheels and specifically the sidewalls. Get a piece of #0000 steel wool wet with the bleach and it should clean up the sidewalls fine.

If you end up buying new, I prefer the slightly larger knobs from a later model x000/Gold/Silver series, p/n 78960:

https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0081H1VB6/tvwb-20

or the even larger round knobs, p/n 87327:

https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B07BN95S2K/tvwb-20

Disregard those prices, though. Call Weber and get them for $5 each. $7 flat rate shipping and free shipping for orders $49 and over.

I mean, since you have to order the drip tray+holder, you'd close to qualifying for free shipping.

Another question for the pros....

Is it possible to disassemble/reassemble the tank scale? Not sure how to deal with however it's riveted together. I'd rather keep the old type scale, but it could use a good cleaning/repaint.

Doable?
Thanks. Ralph

I have never tried to disassemble. You can clean off the surface rust on the outside, lubricate the inside and repaint if it is not a totally shot one. I can probably help you with a replacement decal if yours has this. If too far gone, you are probably looking at finding a donor. The newer ones don't have the "pointer" if historicity is important to you.

For the price, I would buy new knobs, they'll make a world of difference. And on my last couple grills, I have painted the "whitewalls." Remove them from the "tire," prime and paint. Hit the "tires" with satin black. They will look like a million bucks and unless you park the grill in poor or wet conditions, they will look good for a long time.

Recently I bought a set of new wheels (old version) for $35 pair, so hunt on the parts sites or ebay etc. if you want new. They're out there.

For the price, I would buy new knobs, they'll make a world of difference. And on my last couple grills, I have painted the "whitewalls." Remove them from the "tire," prime and paint. Hit the "tires" with satin black. They will look like a million bucks and unless you park the grill in poor or wet conditions, they will look good for a long time.

Recently I bought a set of new wheels (old version) for $35 pair, so hunt on the parts sites or ebay etc. if you want new. They're out there.

Tony,

Brian in Atlanta has also done that with good success. I have a number of wheels to work on and it sounds like it would make them look a lot better, but I guess I am a little nervous about breaking the whitewall "pins". How did you pop them out?

Not hard Jon, I take a bolt head and push them from behind till they are flush. Then I take a nail punch to get them the rest of the way out.

I did actually disassemble a tank scale before. Not a big deal, but I just don't bother on my rehabs.

Back