Kitchen renovation

Lynn Dollar

TVWBB Emerald Member
Wife and I need to update our kitchen. But we don't wanna spend $20,000 for a complete overhaul.

There's a fella with a barbecue YouTube channel that you might be familiar with, Baby Back Maniac. He posted pics on Instagram today of his kitchen remodel. He painted the cabinets white and added some lighting. This is what the wife and I are considering, along with new granite counter tops.

Here's BBM's pics of before and after.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BysY2qChoQW/

Has anyone else done a kitchen remodel ? What problems did you run into ? This is scary step for the wife and I.

Hi Lynn, we had to have our kitchen redone about 5 years ago. Our insurance company paid for it. That was our biggest problem. Not exactly the best contractor to do the job. The next biggest problem was packing up everything in the kitchen. Of course, that was when our grill came in real handy. We had quite a few meals cooked on it. We also cooked from our electric wok on the dining room table. That was fun lol. And of course, there was always delivery. So, here is hoping that what you have done will not take very long. Ours took about 5 weeks.

We haven't done one but are sorely overdue. We're mostly interested in new counter tops and adding additional closet and pantry space. We've upgraded most of the kitchen appliances so we're in pretty good shape there. We're also going to upgrade the floors in the house as well and we're deciding on which to tackle first. Hope you post a few pic's Lynn as I'm interested in following your work.

Looks good! We did our a few years back. We got a deal on some butcher block counter tops from Ikea. I ripped out the old counter tops and sink. A buddy of mine, who's a much better carpenter than I am, helped cut and install the new sink and countertops. Pammi painted the cabinets later, a very light grey. I'll see if I can get some pics or you can search on here from a couple three years back. I did a thread.

I like the before pic better!

I agree. But its all about the colors. What's in is whites with grays. They had browns in the counters and backsplashes that went well with the cabinets. By changing the cabinets and the paint colors, I think things clash a bit. It looks nicer, but I can't help but think in 18-24 months, they're going to want to do it again. Get a handful of estimates with varying ideas, from gutting everything to replacing appliances and counters only. You might find some good ideas that allow you to update without a full 20k gut job. We've replaced our dishwasher and fridge in the last 24 months. We're now looking at the range and microwave and wanting to replace them. I keep telling my wife that once we've replaced the appliances, counters and cabinets might not be too bad.

I painted my sons cabinets, a good deal of washing and sanding, did the insides too. Need to get off any grease. The hardest part was working inside the corner cabinets. If I were doing my own I'd talk to a cabinet refinisher/refacer and see what they'd charge to spray them, you'd get a better finish.

Damn, I get enough HGTV via Mrs Bob. :p

We redid our kitchen a few years ago when we planned to build a new house, did it to help sell.
Plans fell through, or else we might have put more thought into our remodel had we known we were staying. Still, we're pretty pleased compared to the old one.

Lynn, we redid our kitchen (painted the cabinets, replaced oven/frig, countertops and flooring).
The flooring change was wanted but forced upon us after we needed to mudjack and helical pile our house (built on a slab, the house was sinking inches).
We also replaced the kitchen table with a large island, the knock off Corian counter tops were replaced with quartz...
the new kitchen flooring (luxury vinyl plank) actually covers 6 of 8 rooms... we also added a natural gas line for the new stove/oven...
I'd estimate the entire cost around 7 grand including the appliances and paint.

Good luck with your project Lynn! Have good time with it. It can be a lot of fun!

here are some before / after photos

Feb2011
8s8OpX6.jpg

July2012
pwYpEyR.jpg

March2017 (this photo does not include the quartz counter tops or new cabinet hardware)
ebIhEZy.jpg

May/June2019
v8GXZ6W.jpg

zPeZFey.jpg

ggtl2aH.jpg

I've done two -- one by myself and one contracted out. If you're happy with the layout and appliance locations, it's obviously a much easier and faster project. Consider quartz for countertops. The cost is similar, but the quartz is a better-performing and more forgiving surface. I had my reservations about hardwood floors in the kitchen, but found little downside and wood is easier on the feet.

Jeff

Came out great, Jim.

Agreed - Nice job.

My kitchen was done around 18 years ago - I've done a couple mods but if I ever redo my kitchen, it'll be a scrape & build. My appliances are new but I don't like the layout.

I like the before pic better!

Actually, I do to. I like stained finished wood. But our current cabinets need refinishing, and its much cheaper just to paint.

But I also like the look of the white cabinets, especially as Jim has done with that wood flooring. IDK if we'll do the hardwood laminate floor, but that's the look I like, if I'm gonna do white cabinets.

I painted my sons cabinets, a good deal of washing and sanding, did the insides too. Need to get off any grease. The hardest part was working inside the corner cabinets. If I were doing my own I'd talk to a cabinet refinisher/refacer and see what they'd charge to spray them, you'd get a better finish.

I think I'm gonna do what Baby Back did , and hire them sprayed. I'm not sure I can paint them without leaving brush marks. And our remodel is going to extend into a dining room that has wallpaper to be replaced. We will just get it textured and painted. We tried doing texture ourselves in a bathroom and it turned out OK in a small space, but we don't wanna attempt that in a larger room.

I've done two -- one by myself and one contracted out. If you're happy with the layout and appliance locations, it's obviously a much easier and faster project. Consider quartz for countertops. The cost is similar, but the quartz is a better-performing and more forgiving surface. I had my reservations about hardwood floors in the kitchen, but found little downside and wood is easier on the feet.

Jeff

We were pretty much set on hardwood laminate. But my wife has done more research, and she says its not good to get spills on laminate. Would like to do hardwood, but cost is too high.

We're also looking at flooring for the entire house and still undecided on hardwood laminate or carpet.

We were pretty much set on hardwood laminate. But my wife has done more research, and she says its not good to get spills on laminate. Would like to do hardwood, but cost is too high.

We're also looking at flooring for the entire house and still undecided on hardwood laminate or carpet.
Check out vinyl plank, it's 100% waterproof.
We have Coretec in our family room and hall and have been very pleased.
https://coretecfloors.com/en-us?gcl...w_wcB&ef_id=XDeTSwAAAMNMTzU9:20190615175837:s

Have you checked "engineered hardwood" which is made up of thick laminate layers -- around 3/16" per layer rather than veneer? Cheaper than solid hardwood and just a durable and moisture resistant.

We did our kitchen in 2007. The house was built in 1980 and I think some of the appliances were original so we neede all new appliances. I did the tear out to save money but the remodel stil went over 10 grand. Next week our guest bathroom gets a second remodel and it will be a senior safe bathroom. Tub out and shower with a wide solid floor in. If we remodel our kitchen again it will just be repaint the cabinets and replace the counter top + some small things.

Advice: Make it what you like because you're going to be looking at it a long time.. .

Back