Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Kitchen renovation

We've put off our flooring project until the weather got cooler. We shopped this week and were directed to ceramic tile that looks like wood flooring. Anyone know much about that?

I've been reading about the vinyl plank, I'm gonna investigate that some more.
    2002 18" WSM , 1999 22 Kettle , 1983 Smokey Joe , 2019 26" Kettle , 2016 Spirit 3 Gasser , Old Country Brazos offset smoker

I don't know about ceramic tile that looks like wood flooring?
    But I've used laminate flooring that looks like ceramic tile.

Tim
    Different smokes for different folks. Wish the Dollar Store sold gas!

Our master bathroom has wood look ceramic tile. It looks great but I think Vinyl planking can look just as good and will save money. I second the vote for Quartz countertops. We had Marble in our guest bathroom and we remodeled it this year and SWMBO chose Quartz so in 12 years we have now replaced all of our countertops with Quartz.
    Old dog, learning new tricks - one cook at a time :-). -14.5" and 18.5" WSM, SS Performer, CB Rotisserie, Camp Chef Smokepro DLX (Modified) Pellet Grill

TVWBB Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lynn Dollar View Post
    We've put off our flooring project until the weather got cooler. We shopped this week and were directed to ceramic tile that looks like wood flooring. Anyone know much about that?

Hey Lynn; I’m a General Contractor and the quality and selection of ceramic “wood plank” flooring is top notch these days. Extremely versatile, lots of varieties, tough, and very much in demand. You will not regret using it.
    WSM 18.5, Inkbird IRF-4S, Kizen Instant Thermometer

Quote Originally Posted by KToliver View Post
    Hey Lynn; I’m a General Contractor and the quality and selection of ceramic “wood plank” flooring is top notch these days. Extremely versatile, lots of varieties, tough, and very much in demand. You will not regret using it.
    KT, what about porcelain vrs ceramic ? I think the porcelain has a much lower installation cost, even if the tiles may cost more . After getting our first quote, it appears that labor is a large part of the cost of ceramic.

I'm also leery of maybe getting a good price on ceramic tile but not knowing anything about the manufacturer. Our quote uses Shaw. Are there brand names we should avoid ?

We're gonna get a couple more quotes. And we know of a tile guy , he's worked for us before, and we're gonna talk to him about providing the labor then we go to a place like Floors and Decors to buy the matierial .
    2002 18" WSM , 1999 22 Kettle , 1983 Smokey Joe , 2019 26" Kettle , 2016 Spirit 3 Gasser , Old Country Brazos offset smoker

We re-did our hall bathroom earlier this year and used it. I absolutely love it. Looks like barn wood. I'm happy to provide a pic or two if you'd like.
    ; ; ;

TVWBB Member
    KT, what about porcelain vrs ceramic ? I think the porcelain has a much lower installation cost, even if the tiles may cost more . After getting our first quote, it appears that labor is a large part of the cost of ceramic.

I'm also leery of maybe getting a good price on ceramic tile but not knowing anything about the manufacturer. Our quote uses Shaw. Are there brand names we should avoid ?

We're gonna get a couple more quotes. And we know of a tile guy , he's worked for us before, and we're gonna talk to him about providing the labor then we go to a place like Floors and Decors to buy the matierial .
    Porcelain over ceramic every time. Porcelain is denser and harder; holds up better over time. Don’t worry about brands; look at the quality of the tile. It should be consistent dimensionally, have several variation patterns (there should be 6 or more different “patterns” in the tile so 2 next to each other don’t look like duplicates), and the coloration should go deep enough at the edges that a little reveal in your grout wont show white along the edge of the tile.

That last statement about color depth is in case you go with ceramic; porcelain color should go all the way through.
    Last edited by KToliver; 09-14-2019 at 01:14 PM.
    WSM 18.5, Inkbird IRF-4S, Kizen Instant Thermometer

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123