Suggestions appreciated

Andy Harrington

TVWBB Member
I am planning a cook for July 4th, smoking salmon filets followed by smoking a packer brisket (I plan to cook the brisket after not while the salmon cooks) Salmon has to be smoked as it and brisket is all my family is requesting. The problem I’ve run into is I ordered the salmon through Omaha steak as I had a 100 dollar gift certificate. They will be sending eight six ounce filets deboned and without skin. Will a wet brine still work with out the skin? I am planning on cooking them in a vegetable pan lined with pink butcher paper. Not looking for appetizer style, more dinner style, nothing too dry. Will the fish stick to the paper? Would I be better off using something else to cook on?

I think some cooks have noticed that smoking salmon in the WSM leaves an unpleasant residue ... for a long time. If you are getting 6 oz. filets, I wouldn't put them anywhere near the smoker. Grilled indirect on cedar planks for about 15 minutes at 350° would be my choice. Do them to 125° internal -- salmon is very easy to overcook. We usually do them with S&P, a nice slather of dijon mustard and a heavy sprinkle of brown sugar. No brine. Soak the planks in water for about 4 hours and they will keep the fish nice and moist during the cook.

Jeff

I cook salmon and meat quite often in the same smoker with no issue. We also compete (with mixed results) but think that the “residue” is only noticeable if it’s in the back of your head. The best salmon I do is grab a nice 1/2 (I buy from Costco) and put it in a foil pan pan with garlic and better. Then top with a low salt creole seasoning and smoke for 1-hr. Trust me, it’s too easy to be this good but I never have leftovers.

I've done salmon a couple of times over 21 years in the WSM, it was never an issue for the items I smoked immediately following. It may just have to do with how sensitive you are to such things. Worst case, you'd burn-out the inside of the cooker and start over. Not the end of the world...in fact, I've met a couple of barbecue teams that, believe it or not, take the inside of their WSMs back to bare porcelain after each competition...so removing salmon scent should it exist is not impossible, it's just elbow grease.

Andy... I take it you're going to cook the brisket first. Then, while the brisket is resting, cooking the salmon. Is that correct ?

I had planned on cooking salmon first since I usually cook my brisket at 275 and salmon at 250 but being that I’m cooking the salmon to a temp of 150 vs a period of time it probably makes more sense to do salmon last.

I am in the don't put salmon in in my WSM camp.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy salmon but not the lingering smell in my smoker. As stated, it may not be an issue for others, as they don't smell it after the cook or they clean the cooker. For me, salmon belongs in a dedicated smoker or on the grill.

Back