Beef loin flap meat steaks ???

W_Stewart

TVWBB Fan
Just saw a pack of these Beef loin flap meat steaks at Costco and they looked really marbled and delicious. But i didn’t buy them as I wasn’t sure how to cook them. What is this cut like? I was thinking it would be best grilled like a steak, maybe after marinating in my favorite teriyaki sauce. Any feedback on this cut?

They were cut into strips about 2”x2”x8”

I'm thinking a nice herbal garlicky marinade with a chimmichurri sauce! Treated like a flatiron or hanger?
Just finished dinner and now, I’m thinking I want a steak!

They look like what we call "sirloin tips" here in Boston. We can get them whole/uncut around here, for $7/lb, plus or minus. I've smoked the thicker pieces to good result-they don't need too long.

I think my butcher has started selling those. I enjoyed it, but my wife didn't. I think he labeled them as bavette steaks (which can mean any number of cuts). He made some into pinwheel steaks. It's similar probably to an outside skirt steak. I grilled it and ate it like steak but I'm thinking tacos are probably a better way to go.

Flap, hanger, flatiron, bavette are all a bit different, but often mislabeled as each other. They are mostly all thin, with longitudinal grain. Grilling them hot and fast (rare or medium rare) is the preferred cooking technique, and cutting them thin across the grain is the preferred serving, mainly in fajitas, tacos and sandwiches. We cook this kind of steak regularly and look for good marbling. Sometimes they are as tender as a filet and other times as tough as your shoes.

Jeff

They were 9.99/lb which isn’t cheap. I can get ribeyes less than that. But they do look good

QZstpme.jpg

The price on these cuts are getting ridiculous, and I'm including ox tail, marrow bones, etc. stuff they could barely give away just a couple years ago.
Who would imagine ribeyes cheaper then this stuff. crazy!...ok rant over...:)

Yikes $9 a pound! We get flap meat from the local Mexican grocery stores for $4.99, sometimes $3.99 a pound. And it's already seasoned/marinaded for Carne asada tacos.
Like previously mentioned, hot & fast to medium rare is the way to go

They look like what we call "sirloin tips" here in Boston. We can get them whole/uncut around here, for $7/lb, plus or minus. I've smoked the thicker pieces to good result-they don't need too long.

I can tell you for certain flap meat and sirloin tips are one in the same in the Northeast. I am in NH which is close enough to Boston and can tell you when Sirloin tips go on sale in the grocery store, I ask the butcher all the time for the whole piece of flap meat trimmed up. Butchers take the whole flap and cut them into "Sirloin Tips"

When they do go on sale, I get the whole piece and either grill it whole or cut them myself.

Looks like it's a New England thing, although the two cuts are different.
"Flap steak is sometimes called sirloin tips in New England."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flap_steak

Yeah....This used to be pretty cheap but has become popular the last several years. It will go on sale for $4.99 and sometimes $3.99, but full price they are pricey.

Personally I look for "steak tips" on sale, but also chuck eye or flat iron. These are pretty cheap when they go on sale. $4 give or take.

I don't think there is any cheap cut of beef anymore. The internet has taught people how to cook all the cuts. I used to be able to get briskets in the mid 80s on sale for .39 a pound.

I grilled it last night after marinating in teriyaki sauce. I folded the strips onto skewers to get it more like the size of a steak. It was ok, a bit chewy.

I still have the half the package in the freezer and was contemplating taking a low-and-slow approach instead of hot-and-fast grilling. Is this cut better off being grilled or smoked?

I picked some up 2 days ago, marinated for a couple hours and cooked the hot and fast. At 130 degrees they were very chewy and way too rare for us, the fat had not rendered if that's the right term. I'm going to try them again but I'll marinate for a lot longer, like 8 hours or so, and try cooking them indirect and do a reverse sear once they get up to 120 or so. At least that's the plan now.

The West Springfield MA Costco price was $6.99 lb.

The orlando Costco sells flap meat around $6.99lb.

That price is high.

We just marinate, cook fast, slice against the grain.

Usually they are very tender.

Back