Accidental owner of a Weber Summit E-650

AmitJudge

Hi,

A great forum here. I live in a place called Beaconsfield which is 30miles west of London in the UK.

I didn't wake up this morning knowing I'd be buying a Weber gas bbq.

I currently have a Weber Kettle charcoal bbq but fancied a gas one and started having a look for used ones on ebay when I spotted this:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/273887454735

The seller had only just out it up when I saw it, not knowing anything about it I made an offer of £175 (about US$220), that was my budget and not what I thought it was worth. To my surprise he accepted!

Looking into it, I believe its a Weber Summit E-650 which when new was worth a small fortune! Pics from the auction below, it looks to be in good condition:

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

I was hoping to pick it up today but it won't fit in the back of my car. He was able to remove the lid and the sides but not the "hood", for lack of a better word, that sits under the lid, the seller said it looks like a lot of work to remove that. I'll have to hire a van and pick it up next week. Can not wait!

Looking forward to use it.

Thanks for reading.

Last edited:
Yes, you've identified it correctly as a Summit E-650. The DE portion of the serial number indicates it's a 2009 model: http://virtualweberbullet.com/determine-age-weber-grills-smokers.html#gasauthorized

At the time, it probably sold in the range of US$2000-2500.

It appears to be in good shape. The infrared rotisserie burner is a great feature that people like, and it's missing from Genesis, the next level down in the grill hierarchy.

There are members of this forum who are far greater authorities on Weber grill restoration than me, I hope they will look at your photos and offer their opinions/advice. One of the biggest problem with many of these enclosed bottom grills is rust, and it looks like yours has none. If you can keep this grill dry and rust-free, you should have a winner!

Good luck!

That grill looks to be in really good shape. The big thing that I am aware of with the Summit grills is the panel in the front of the cook box where the burners go through has a tendancy to corrode badly around the burners.

I have little experience with them however. In fact, I just picked up my first one a couple days ago. It is a 4 burner, but I bought it for parts. It was only $20 US.

If your grill doesn't have any major issues, you have a great grilling machine there. Is it propane or natural gas? It looks like NG which is a good thing.

Wow, that one does look really nice at a GREAT price (if I have my conversion amounts close to right:rolleyes:!). Virtually every one that I have seen here has been trashed with rust throughout the cabinetry area. I am not a fan of these grills, but that one is unusually nice. I personally like the black ones a lot better than the stainless version. Best wishes!

Is it propane or natural gas?
The label says "BUTN/PROPN".

Looking at the US owners manual for the propane tank version of this grill, the area inside the cabinet is split evenly in half, with the right half dedicated to the propane tank:

pSRzXCs.jpg

Not so in the UK version:

s-l1600.jpg

So I'm guessing the tank is external to the grill, like in this UK video:

Thanks for the kind welcome and sharing more details about the bbq.

I assumed the rotisserie would be an extra, great if its included.

Going by what looks like a date on the label, I thought it was a 2006 model?

As Chris has spotted, this is a propane / butane model. NG on bbq's is rare here in the UK. Looking at the red regulator this seems to be running propane, which is more commonly used.

What do these things weigh? I have seen 130kg in specs for the E-670 which seems surprisingly heavy. Do they manoeuvre with ease on the castors?

IIRC the tanks used in the UK are larger so perhaps they won't fit inside and our new UK friend's uses an outside mount for the LP tank

I assumed the rotisserie would be an extra, great if its included.

The rotisserie motor mounting bracket is already on the left side of the firebox:

KlpPiP1.jpg

These are your rotisserie forks:

3SqZJ5o.jpg

You need to find the motor and the spit that the forks attach to.

Some of the parts on the floor below the forks appear to be the warming rack that fits into these brackets:

ygPuFkI.jpg

Going by what looks like a date on the label, I thought it was a 2006 model?

That 2006 date is related to the European CE safety standards to which the grill is built. The DE portion of the serial number is the definitive proof that the grill was manufactured by Weber during the 2009 model year, which runs from October 1, 2008 to September 30, 2009.

What do these things weigh?
It's a beast. US shipping weight was said to be 260 pounds or 117kg. It was a premium grill, so it should roll easily on a smooth surface with the casters.

Congratulations. That price is a steal compared to what Weber charges for these grills in Europe. It would even be a great price here in the US. Good luck in picking it up. You probably will need a van or trailer to haul it. And happy grilling of course.

Thanks Chris, you're a font of knowledge on these things. I'll look out for a motor when I collect next week.

Stefan, in the UK the current model Summit E-670 is £3500 which is $4400. I can't believe they're selling very many at that price, we're just not into bbq'ing at the scale they are in US, Australia or South Africa say. It must be to do with the weather!

Some of those parts below the rotisserie forks also look like a smoker box and the grill grate to go with it. Did that model have them?

Don't let a little cool weather keep you from grilling! I grill year round, and it's especially fun in the winter months.

Slainte!

Tim

Thanks Chris, you're a font of knowledge on these things. I'll look out for a motor when I collect next week.

Stefan, in the UK the current model Summit E-670 is £3500 which is $4400. I can't believe they're selling very many at that price, we're just not into bbq'ing at the scale they are in US, Australia or South Africa say. It must be to do with the weather!

Are you sure about the weather? Lol. I am originally from Germany and I found it always amusing that most convertibles back in 80s or earlier came out of Britain. Triumph, MG, Austin Healey, TVR, Jaguar, Lotus, Morgan and quite a few more.
Yes and I agree the Weber prices in Europe are absolutely nuts. I wonder that people are willing to pay that much.

Last edited:
Are you sure about the weather? Lol. I am originally from Germany and I found it always amusing that most convertibles back in 80s or earlier came out of Britain. Triumph, MG, Austin Healey, TVR, Jaguar, Lotus, Morgan and quite a few more.

And none of them exist today because of the horrible tin worm inflicted by our weather, along with the salt they put on the roads here in the relatively mild winters.

Us brits must talk about the weather more than any oher nation, it's our favourite past time, yet we're so bad at handling it. Hose pipe bans in the summer when we've had continuous sun for more than 2 weeks, trains have speed restrictions as railway tracks can warp and buckle, tarmac from the road heats up and sticks to tyres wrecking the roads, the hottest it ever gets is 30deg C. The winters are no better, 2 inches of snow is enough to grind the country to a standstill, trains, airports, roads, schools will be shut. Anyway, I digress ;o)

One thing for sure, reading on here on how they can rust, I'll be keeping itnindoors in the garage, at least I have a week to clear up some space for it.

Good spot on the spit there Dan, let's hope it's all there.

No I doubt it. If you REALLY wanna see people obsessed with weather take a trip to Minnesota. Known fact that the Weather Channel is their state entertainment channel. Back in the day would talk to wife's dad, or uncle. "So what are you up to?" Them "Oh yah just watchin' da Weather Channel here you betcha" Another homage to Minnesotans and the weather channel and the weather itself, watch the movie FARGO. Whenever you see a TV on in the film it's The Weather Channel or when Marge is talking to people "Oh yah she looks like she's gonna snow" (I married a Minnesotan so I learned these things). Even in the book "How to Speak Minnesotan" they talk about it as part of the culture. Or even in Grumpy Old Men there is always a weather forecast playing

Larry I grew up in Minnesota. My parents still live there. I don't dispute anything you said above.

I do hope anyone from MN does not take my observation (as a Chicago B&R kid) badly. After all a Minnesotan is the love of my life :D

Back