Burner tube always clogged on Q2400

George Si

TVWBB Super Fan
Hi,
Only part of the burners light up, sometimes only 1/3. Son cleaned tubes degreased, but just won't light the full burner.....any suggestions, please. Weber provided new tube and regulator worked well for a while then problem started again???Baffled. Anyone else have same issue? Thanks George(for son Matt)

I have a rough drawing of the issue...The part that has hash marks is the working part, give or take an inch or so, and the non hashed part is non working. Thanks
E5vKQLC.jpg

THe q2400 is an electric grill so I assume you mean a 2200 gas grill.

Are you using an adapter for a 20lb tank? Or are you using a 16 ounce small canister?

I am guessing that you are using a 20lb tank, and you are tripping a safety mechanism in the regulator that reduces the gas flow to a trickle. The common solution is to take the tank off and reattach it, then open the valve on the tank VERY slowly and then open the valve on the grill to get the correct flow.

Actually most likely NOT tripping the mechanism. George you have to understand the burner tube on the Q (all gas Qs) by design are high maintenance items. Depending on the type of foods you cook and how you cook them they will clog up as much as once a week under heavy use. Take the burner out, keep a clean wire brush handy, give it a good wire brushing every couple weeks, check the burner holes for any burned in grease, unclog as necessary (I use a VERY small flat blade screw driver) I also will wash it out with spray brake cleaner solvent and blow it clean with compressed air. Don't pay any attention to the naysayers who will tell you great harm will happen to you using that solvent BTW. Once dried nothing is left (no residue). And also if no air compressor well..................Father's Day is coming. Treat yourself (even if to only a small $39 Pancake Compressor from Harbor Freight) they are indispensable to have. I have 2 a small FINI Compressor in my basement and my big heavy 30 gal one in the garage.
Doing these steps will keep your Q "in the zone"

He doesn't use the 20lb tank. He is using the small canisters
ps. yes I meant the larger Q gas grill 2200
He is almost ready to pick up a CharBroil at Lowe's(discount, plus military discount, no tax in Delaware), but we must save him.....:)

Last edited:
I agree with Larry. Most likely a clogged burner. Usually a good wire brush is enough unless it is in bad shape, then you may want to find a "small" drill bit and ream out each hole. It takes a while, but it will put the grill back in action. I wish I had the drill bit size that fits memorized, but I do not.

I don't cook on mine much and I find them starting to clog after 3 or so cooks. I use a welders tip cleaner. They will scrape the carbon off the sides of the holes.

Back