Received 9mm grates

George Si

TVWBB Super Fan
Was going to return but decided to keep and I think will be keeping both grills. I’m sure after son leaves townhouse he could use the E330. Herr is how they look

SUqUePv.jpg

W00Pnh7.jpg

I am no expert. I depend on the real knowledgeable members for advice. Anyway I got them from Grill Parts Zone by way of Amazon

Yah George, I have 2 grills...one is used mostly for roti cooking and the other is my daily driver.

Well I returned the 9mm grates. Site did not say where they were made and there was a slight magnetism(very little)..I did eventually notice that they were NOT made in the USA, Anyway after this work I put into the Silver B. I figure for the cooking I do, indirect heat for ribs,etc and Roti, the Silver B will be more than sufficient. Plus I ordered a set for grates from Dave (rcplanebuyer) for my Silver...What will I do with the E330? Not sure, maybe buy cheap grates and sell(no rust on it), or keep for my son???

Excellent choice on the grates as the ones from RC are the creme de la creme. As for the other grill why not gift it to your son so he stays away from Char Broil (as mentioned in another thread)...?

Hi,
I am trying to convince my son to take it. He would have to try to see if it will fit in front of his townhouse. That is what I would prefer.....

George, I sure can’t say you made a bad choice going with Dave’s grates. I don’t even own a set (although I am a multi-buyer of his flavorizer bars and heat deflectors) yet I brag them up as the best because of his consistent quality craftsmanship. On the other hand, I think those 9mm Weber grates look highly respectable to me, regardless of country of origin. I do believe in trying to support US made products, but I wouldn’t be surprised if even Dave’s grates start with foreign made stainless rods. Maybe not, but in any event I have used Weber stainless rod grates for years that were also slightly magnetic (and not as impressive as these new 9mm ones) and never had any problem with them.

Dave’s are clearly the best choice, and maybe I will finally get a set someday. However, I would also be proud to own a set of those Weber 9mm grates. I think they are one of the notable improvements Weber made from the initial rollout of the Genesis II line.

Yah, I think sometimes we get a little too bent over the 304 thing. While some of the other grades may not last quite as long, they are not really that far behind. I think only in the flavorizer bars is the grade of the SS more important.

Hi they actually were not Weber grates but an aftermarket brand sold by Grill Parts. I would have kept them but cost of cutting them to fit the Silver would have been too much. And since I am going to make the Silver my grill and might b getting rid of the E330 I didn’t want 2 sets of expensive grates
BTW Can someone give me an idea on how to get rid of overspray on the plastic side tables? Thanks George

The "thermoset" side tables should have probably been removed before painting, but I would try some paint thinner and #0000 steel wool. But try it on the back of a table first to make sure it doesn't do any real harm.

Use mineral spirits and steel wool or ScotchBrite. The mineral spirits being oil based will not harm the plastic and when buffed will shine them right up

Yje overspray is not on the tables but ion the curved portion of the tray...not a lot....I even rubbed with a bit of the Green spray and it helped take some off...

Yah, I think sometimes we get a little too bent over the 304 thing. While some of the other grades may not last quite as long, they are not really that far behind. I think only in the flavorizer bars is the grade of the SS more important.

I do think 304 stainless is important for exterior parts too from an appearance standpoint. The cheaper grades of stainless just look horrible after a year or 2 when that is used for the hood/lid and / or side tables. The el cheapo big box brands (char broil, nex grill, etc) almost always use magnetic stainless there and even some better brands like Broil King.

Back